At BWB, we aim to have a material positive overall impact on society and the environment, taken as a whole.
Our environment management system has clear objectives each year, backed by management action to reduce our carbon emissions.
We are committed to enhancing and communicating our environmental initiatives which aim to minimise the impact of our business on the environment.
BWB is proud to have achieved ISO 14001:2015 certification from BSI for our environmental management system.
Certificate number: EMS 598047
Our Environmental Policy Statement can be viewed here.
Our Recent Environmental Activity
We seek to reduce our resource use and further improve our recycling and waste management programmes and be energy efficient wherever possible. Some of our recent initiatives are listed below.
- We formulated a comprehensive Environment Management System as part of our aim to achieve ISO 14001 certification which is reviewed on a continual basis
- Significant activity has been undertaken on a ‘Paperlite Office’ project which seeks to reduce the amount of paper in the office via a reduction in printing documents and also seeks a reduction in energy usage from using printers, copiers and shredders
- As part of this project we introduced a sophisticated Document Management System which allows users to work almost entirely within Outlook and assists in the management and filing of emails and retrieval of documents.
- Many of our departments have reduced their paper usage by only working from electronic files
- We introduced follow-me printing and a double-sided copying facility on all printers to reduce paper usage as much as possible
- We use an online 'Deeds on Demand' document store system for clients
- We have reduced the amount of paper being used for marketing material; now opting for online material where possible.
- We operate a ‘zero waste to landfill’ policy where we recycle everything from paper, cans, glass and plastic to food, Tetra Paks, batteries and cartridges. Even our used coffee grounds are recycled into advanced bio fuels
- We have motion activated lighting and LED lighting in our client suite. We recently reconfigured our lighting system to make the zoning more efficient
- We have automatic sleep mode for computers and use energy efficient monitors.
- We virtualised 53 servers to five physical servers to reduce power consumption
- We are supporters of the cycle to work scheme
- Bottled water is produced in house by filtering mains water
- We have developed a Green Purchasing Policy and favour purchasing from suppliers who are B Corps or registered on the Buy Social directory
- We are actively increasing the amount of recycled stationery products that we use
Targets for 2017/18
The targets we have set ourselves are:
- To reduce the number of paper files in the office to under 1,000 by December 2017
- To undertake an analysis of our carbon footprint data and consider external support in how we can look to further reduce our footprint, paying particular attending to ensuring our electricity usage is as efficient as possible
- Following the change to the B Corp certification assessment for 2017, to achieve a good score for the Environmental element which we will aim to improve on in two years time
- To increase the number of new suppliers with ISO 14001 certification by 25%
- To increase our spending with Socially Responsible Businesses to £100k per year
- To reduce our carbon footprint for 2017 by 10%
Our Carbon Footprint
We are a member of the Legal Sector Alliance (LSA), an inclusive movement of law firms committed to taking action on climate change by reducing their carbon footprint and adopting environmentally sustainable practices. Our current carbon footprint measurements, completed through the LSA, stand at:
|On site combustion - Scope 1 (tonnes CO2)||99.12||93.3||93.8||Unavailable||16.2|
|Purchased electricity (tonnes CO2)||
Plus 86.7 Green tariff
Plus 75.5 Green tariff
|Gross emissions per employee (tonnes CO2)||4.44||2.87||2.92||1.86||1.58|
|Gross total emissions (tonnes CO2)||817.23||560||572||437||396|