Chetal advises high net worth individuals on securing leave to enter and remain in the UK under the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) and Tier 1 (Investor) routes. She also has experience in advising migrants on suitable immigration applications whose previous leave was under either Tier 1 (General) or the post-study work routes.
She regularly advises a variety of clients on sponsor-related matters, in particular under Tier 2 and 5 of the Points Based System. She advises organisations on sponsor licence applications and renewals, including providing pragmatic guidance and advice on the requisite HR processes, assisting with immigration audits, meeting compliance obligations and preparing clients for and attending pre/post UK Visas and Immigration visits.
Chetal is part of the firm’s cross departmental Education team and advises on the immigration law aspects of formal structural changes for educational establishments following Area Reviews.
She acts for a broad range of clients from charities, educational establishments, hedge fund companies, high net worth individuals and start-up companies to multinational companies.
She is fluent in Gujarati.
Examples of recent work
- Providing strategic immigration advice to high net worth individuals around their long term future plans for the UK and their personal/business needs
- Advised on Tier 1 applications with a focus on the Entrepreneur and Exceptional Talent categories
- Provided bespoke training on the Sponsor Licence regime to the Internal HR Co-ordinators of a national property development company and conducted an extensive immigration audit so that any examples of non-compliance were identified and dealt with before the submission of a Sponsor Licence renewal application
- Advised FM Conway Limited on the immigration law aspects on its acquisition of United Asphalt
- Advised a national dental practice in obtaining a Sponsor Licence following the TUPE transfer of migrants
- Advised a healthcare regulator on Tier 2 sponsorship issues pending a restructure
- Successfully applied for a Tier 2 Sponsor Licence for a Multi-Academy Trust which was granted by UK Visas & Immigration within a week from submission which enabled the Multi-Academy Trust to plan for its new intake of teachers in time for the start of the new school term
- Advised an international media company in connection with the sponsorship of an individual under Tier 2 (General) who had not properly disclosed a foreign criminal conviction on a previous UK visa application
- Advised a social care services charity on the issuance of a civil penalty notice and subsequently provided ad hoc immigration advice in relation to employees. The advice included managing corporate risk as it transpired some employees did not have the correct immigration status to undertake the work
- Successfully represented a media consultancy company in respect of an intention by UK Visas & Immigration to downgrade its Sponsor Licence which resulted in the company’s A-rating being maintained
- Advised a leading London educational establishment and faith based organisation on the suspension of their respective Sponsor Licences
- Successfully applies for Indefinite Leave to Remain for senior executives and their dependant family members in the financial sector
- Advising a number of further education colleges on the immigration law considerations on restructures
- Advised a household name on individuals entering the UK under Tier 5 to participate in a UK reality TV series who had previously spent criminal convictions and adverse immigration history
- Managed and submitted a group of engineers’ visa applications to come to the UK for a specific assignment under the visitor rules which did not require the employees to be sponsored by the UK Company
- Advised an Opera Company on the entry of a rising star opera singer to attend a Live Event as a Creative Visitor
Qualifications and career
- Swansea University, LLB (Hons) Law and Business Studies, 2002-2005
- The College of Law, Moorgate, Legal Practice Course, 2006
- Trainee solicitor, Birketts LLP, 2007-2009
- Solicitor, Birketts LLP, 2009-2011
- Solicitor, Gherson, 2011-2013
- Solicitor, Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2013
- Promoted to Associate, Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2015
- Promoted to Senior Associate, Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2016
- Member of the Immigration Law Practitioners Association
- Member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association