Gemma is a corporate and commercial associate with a keen interest in gaming and betting law and significant experience working with both start up and established tech companies.
Gemma joined the corporate and commercial team in October 2013 and since that time has worked on a broad range of corporate and commercial transactions for both public and private companies including mergers & acquisitions, equity capital markets work, corporate finance, venture capital and private equity, company start-ups and group reorganisations.
Gemma became a solicitor because she enjoys working with commercially-minded people and her business background means that she possesses valuable experience developing and maintaining relationships with clients.
Examples of recent work
- Acted for Campbell Page Group Limited of Australia on transferring ownership of Campbell Page UK Limited to WISE Ability
- Assisting a multinational software training company implement a corporate demerger under section 110 Insolvency Act.
- Drafting share purchase agreements and ancillary documentation for a service provider in the superyacht industry pursuant to which the company would sell its entire issued share capital to a German private equity fund.
- Drafting pre-emption waivers, consents, deeds of adherence, subscription letters and board minutes relating to series B and C investment rounds.
- Producing shareholders’ agreements and bespoke articles of association on behalf of various UK companies, including a taxi dispatch software provider, digital marketing agencies and an online marketing intelligence company.
- Conducting verification in connection with the listing of companies on the Alternative Investment Market (AIM).
- Negotiating the variation of an existing supply of software and services agreement with an established e-assessment and e-learning software provider including advising on appropriate protections in the event that the service provider ceased providing services in accordance with the contract (ie, escrow and transitional services arrangements).
- Producing a joint venture/dual supply of services agreement between an international software provider and an established tax and accounting specialist, pursuant to which the supplier would produce bespoke accounting software that both parties would exclusively promote to the UK market.
- Drafting intra-group licence and supply of services agreements for group companies to use both within the UK and in respect of operations abroad.
- Advising a large UK data company on multiple data resale licences and producing precedent terms and conditions for the resale of data intended to be used by sales persons within the business, including notes to highlight situations where it would be appropriate to seek legal counsel.
- Producing B2B and B2C standard terms and conditions for the provision of goods, services and digital content in compliance with, inter alia, the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
Gaming and betting
- Providing advice to software providers and operators looking to become licensed by the UK Gambling Commission.
- Advising and negotiating referral partner agreements for the international marketing and promotion of software licensing and technical support services.
- Advising on the advantages and disadvantages of setting up remote gaming websites in different offshore locations.
- Being personally instructed to advise on whether a spot-the-ball competition website requires a licence from the UK Gambling Commission.
- Providing corporate advice to a racecourse subscription channel in relation to the avoidance of a potential future director conflict situation and its strategy for future betting rights licensing.
Gemma also regularly speaks at events and conferences in her capacity as an expert on UK gambling law. If you would like Gemma to speak at your event, please contact BD&Marketing@bwbllp.com.