Luke specialises in charity, social enterprise, responsible business and impact investing.
As well as advising on the full range of activities carried out by charities and social enterprises, areas of focus include designing innovative legal and constitutional structures and acting for a wide variety of clients with an impact oriented business model or who are making or managing impact investments.
Clients vary from Governments, major global corporates and investment banks, international NGOs and household name charities to social businesses, impact investors and entrepreneurs. Many of these clients are innovative and need bespoke, tailored advice to establish and develop new structures, partnerships and businesses.
Luke has worked on many of the most significant developments in the growing impact investing market. He has been involved, through his work for the European Commission and the Cabinet Office and through various sector initiatives, in helping to shape policy and practice in areas as diverse as legal form, corporate governance, taxation and fiduciary duty.
Examples of recent work
- Advising Global Innovation Fund on the structure of its investment activities
- Advising Access - The Foundation for Social Investment on its funding and programmes
- Developing the legal requirements for B Corps in the UK
- Advising the Cabinet Office and others on the development of social impact bonds
- Advising the City of London on social investment and regulatory reform
- Creating new financing instruments and new investment funds for investment into charities and social enterprises
- Advising on the establishment and operations of credit unions and CDFIs
- Advising on the formation and activities of crowdfunding and peer-to-peer platforms
- Advising on equity and debt capital raising by charities and social enterprises
- Advising charitable foundations on investment activity
- Advising on charity formation, trading and mergers
- Advising on constitutional and governance issues
Qualifications and career
- Clifford Chance New York, scholarship placement, 2002
- University of Nottingham, LLB Law with American Law, 2003
- Trainee solicitor at White & Case, 2005
- Admitted as a solicitor at Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2007
- Secondments to the Social Investment Team at the Cabinet Office, 2011-13
- Partner at BWB, 2013
Pro bono, memberships and appointments
- Chair of the European Social Enterprise Law Association
- Chair of the Policy Council of B Lab (UK)
- Member of the Advisory Council of the International Center for Not-for-Profit Law
- Member of the British Academy’s Steering Group on ‘The Future of the Corporation’
- Member of the Legal Advisory Group of the Global Impact Investing Network
- Member of the CIC Regulator’s Technical Panel
- 15 years’ of board experience in a wide variety of roles