Martin has 30 years city experience working for several large global and London firms, covering all areas of commercial property law, with the accent on finance and insolvency. He leads the Real Estate Finance team at BWB and also advises on occupier needs, lettings, disposals and acquisitions, business and M&A transactions. Martin’s experience also spreads to specialist contamination and environmental property knowledge, rights to light, stamp duty land tax and VAT.
Martin’s client base is mainly funders, insolvency practitioners and occupiers ranging from commercial organisations such as main stream and third sector lenders and an Italian shipping line, financial services and private equity West End occupiers, through to trade unions and membership bodies, charities and sports funders. Martin has particular expertise in corporate property work and is real estate adviser to ‘white shoe’ US law firms.
Martin has also used his finance expertise to develop the finance real estate team ranging from mainstream lending work through to sports and other grant giving bodies, borrowers and security work e.g. pension liability charging.
The client quotes from the legal directories show the depth of his expertise and pragmatic approach.
Examples of recent work
- Loan to care sector registered provider in order to purchase a business including a portfolio of properties from administrators
- Loans to housing associations including portfolio analysis and security structuring
- Borrower work for large London specialist hostel and other care facility providers secured on specific assets
- Funding of a major strategic regional sports centre by a national sports body, including a complex lease re-gearing with a local estate owner and inter-creditor arrangements with a debt funder
- Advising lenders and grant-givers on their policies and how best to structure security over projects and help streamline their procedures
- Advising large organisations structure joint ventures and developments so as to be useable as security if need be and to protect the client in the event of other party especially developer insolvency
- Administration and disposal of several West End restaurant businesses and dealing with the landlords (including the Crown) franchisers and lenders
- Assisting a manufacturing company deal with difficulties it had with a regional development body over its land, and then several years later advising on a pre-pack administrative receivership to save the Qualifications and career
Occupier and commercial real estate
- Acquisition on long geared lease for own occupation and subletting of parts of the trophy St James's Square building for an international shipping line and subsequent buying in of freehold business
- Acting for a national employers association on the amalgamation of nine regional organisations, including rationalising their varied portfolio and stamp duty land tax mitigation, and subsequent trophy building acquisition with potential contamination issues
- Acting for West End fund in joint venture development with specialist top end residential developer including purchase of developer’s JVCo
- Site assemblies and development of greenfield and brownfield sites including under conditional contracts and options subject to planning and overage
- Acting for third sector and commercial sellers of development land on a conditional contract or option basis to national and local housebuilders including structuring overage, planning and other conditions and security
- Advising London specialist charity which brings derelict homes back into use including devising appropriate legal structures with property owners who are unable to do so themselves
- Acting for Unions in acquisitions, disposals, rationalising its portfolio and related issues
Qualifications and career
- Trained as a solicitor in Bromley, Kent
- Worked on qualifying at Clifford Chance for 14 years
- Partner at West End firm Reid Minty for 7 years
- Partner at BWB since 2004