Martin has 30 years City experience working for several large global and London firms, covering all areas of commercial property law, with the accent on finance and insolvency. He advises on finance and security, occupier needs, lettings, disposals and acquisitions, business and M&A transactions. Martin’s experience also spreads to contamination and environmental property knowledge, rights to light, stamp duty land tax and VAT.
Martin has a broad client base that he advises on a range of property issues ranging from commercial organisations such as an Italian shipping line, financial services and private equity West End occupiers through to not-for-profit charities and funders. Martin has particular finance and insolvency expertise and specialises in corporate property work and is real estate adviser to ‘white shoe’ US law firms. Martin has also used his finance expertise to develop the real estate team’s lending and funding capacity, ranging from mainstream lending work through to sports and other grant giving bodies.
The client quotes from the legal directories show the depth of his expertise and pragmatic approach.
Examples of recent work
- Acquisition on long geared lease for own occupation and subletting of parts of the trophy St James's Square building for an international shipping line and subsequent buying in of freehold
- Funding of a major strategic regional sports centre by a national sports body, including a complex lease regearing with a local estate owner and intercreditor arrangements with a debt funder
- Site assemblies and development of greenfield and brownfield sites including under conditional contracts and options subject to planning and overage
- Acting for a large union exclusively in acquisitions, disposals, rationalising its portfolio and related issues
- Administration and disposal of several West End restaurant businesses and dealing with the landlords (including the Crown) franchisers and lenders
- Acting for a national employers association on the amalgamation of nine regional organisations, including rationalising their varied portfolio and stamp duty land tax mitigation, and subsequent trophy building acquisition with potential contamination issues
- Assisting a manufacturing company deal with difficulties it had with a regional development body over its land, and then several years later advising on a pre-pack administrative receivership to save the business
- Advising lenders and grant-givers on their policies and how best to structure security over projects and help streamline their procedures
Qualifications and career
- Trained as a solicitor in Bromley, Kent
- Worked on qualifying at Clifford Chance for 14 years
- Partner at West End firm Reid Minty for seven years
- Partner at BWB in 2004