Chartered Trade Mark Attorney
Mat joined Bates Wells Braithwaite in 2009 and heads up our team of specialist in-house trade mark attorneys. He has over 15 years’ experience of assisting clients with registration and protection of their intellectual property rights.
Along with the rest of BWB’s trade marks team, Mat specialises in helping charities and social enterprises with their registration and management of large international trade mark portfolios, and the effective resolution of trade mark disputes without resorting to court action. He also assists conventional businesses, particularly in the technology sector.
Mat’s current and past clients include organizations as diverse as the organizing committees of various Olympic and Paralympic Games, Nokia, Sightsavers, Shelter, Adidas, GlaxoSmithKline, Social Enterprise UK, Philips, Samaritans, the Children's Society, the charitable organizations of members of the Royal Family, and many others.
Examples of recent work
Mat’s practice encompasses the full range of legal services in the field of brand protection, including:
- Assistance with all aspects of trade mark registration including advice regarding protection strategies, and filing and prosecuting trade mark applications in the UK, Europe and around the world
- Clearance of new names and brands for use, on a UK, European and worldwide level.
- Dispute resolution services - dealing with contentious trade mark matters such as trade mark oppositions and infringement matters, including conducting settlement negotiations
- Advising in respect of intellectual property and trade mark licensing, and drafting of licences.
- Advice and registration services in relation to registered designs and domain names
Qualifications and career
- University of Oxford, BA (Hons) in Philosophy, Politics and Economics
- Qualified as a UK and European registered trade mark attorney in 2004
- Joined Bates Wells Braithwaite in 2009
Pro bono, memberships and appointments
Mat regularly provides various small charities with pro bono and ‘low bono’ assistance with trade mark clearance and registration matters. He is also an advisor at the Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys pro bono clinic.