Matthew is an associate in the Corporate and Commercial department who advises clients on a wide range of corporate and commercial matters. He advises companies and individuals both domestically and internationally, across a variety of sectors that are involved in a broad spectrum of sectors including education, healthcare, hospitality, technology, oil & gas and construction.
Matthew has experience advising clients on corporate structuring, business establishment, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, business/asset purchases, commercial contracts, companies' law and corporate governance.
Matthew also speaks German.
Examples of Recent Work
- Advising on the acquisition by a global education brand of a Dubai based professional qualification training institute.
- Advising a management led and private equity backed entity in relation to a business/asset purchase of a leading voice data and security business in the context of a distressed sale.
- Advising Kingspan Group plc, an Irish listed company and a leading manufacturer of a range of products for the construction industry, on its strategic acquisition of Rigidal Industries LLC
- Advising NMC Health, a London Stock Exchange listed company, on its strategic USD 160.6 million all-cash acquisition of ProVita International Medical Center.
- Advising on the structuring, formation and operation of an International Wealth Fund and on its investment projects, including the establishment of the UAE's first specialist hospitality focused University.
- Advising a global oilfield service company on the restructuring of its international subsidiaries, including the establishment of offshore holding companies and the consolidation and liquidation of certain subsidiaries. Advising a global entertainment company on fundraising capabilities within the UAE.
- Advising a global entertainment company on its international fundraising capabilities.
- Advising a large Abu Dhabi based holding company on its acquisition of a UK restaurant franchise business including operations in the UAE, Oman and Saudi Arabia with development rights over the Middle East.
- Advising UK and other international companies, including the world's largest K-12 education provider, on their establishment, including advice on data protection rules and regulations.
Qualifications and Career
- March 2017 - Joined Bates Wells Braithwaite
- May 2014 – February 2017 - Associate (Corporate), Clyde & Co LLP, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Mar. 2012 – Apr. 2014 - Trainee Solicitor, Trowers & Hamlins LLP, London, UK
- LPC, Kaplan Law School, London, UK
- LLM in International Commercial and Business Law, University of East Anglia
- LLB in Law with German Law and German Language, University of East Anglia (Year spent studying at Universität Trier, Germany)