Prior to joining BWB as a consultant, Neil was previously a partner in the tax department at Wragge Lawrence Graham, specialising in the tax treatment of investments into companies and social enterprises. Neil developed a leading practice in advising on Enterprise Investment Scheme and Venture Capital Trusts, as well as being involved in the formation of investment funds. He was involved in the development of Social Investment Tax Relief, and has worked with Big Society Capital in promoting the relief.
Examples of Recent Work
- Worked on numerous investments by VCTs and EIS funds.
- Advised on the formation of three EIS funds.
- Involved in obtaining Cabinet Office accreditation and HMRC approval to the first two Social Impact Bonds under which investors claimed SITR.
Qualifications and Career
- Manchester University, Law, 1984
- Chester Law School
- Trained at the Birmingham office of Squire Sanders
- Made Partner at Birmingham office of Squire Sanders, 1994
- Practiced as a corporate lawyer for ten years before moving into tax.
- Joined Wragge Lawrence Graham in 2000.
- Made Partner at Wragge Lawrence Graham in the corporate tax team
- Started as a consultant in 2014
Pro Bono, Memberships and Appointments
- Member of the Worthstone Investment Committee.
- Pro bono mentor to a social enterprise in Birmingham