Oliver is a Solicitor in the Charity & Social Enterprise team where he advises charities, not for profit organisations and businesses with a social purpose on a range of legal and commercial matters, including formation and registration, constitutional and regulatory compliance, issues relating to contracts and grant funding arrangements, social investment and social finance matters, and general charity and company law.
Oliver is a member of the Social Finance, Crowdfunding and Environment groups at BWB and acts as an advisor and secretary to the UK Crowdfunding Association.
Examples of Recent Work
- Advising on the formation and registration of new charities and social enterprises, including CICs and CIOs
- Advising on constitutional and operational issues for charities and social enterprises, including advising on conflicts of interest, procedure and other governance matters
- Acting on mergers between charities and not-for-profit organisations
- Advising on grant agreements, contracts, collaboration and consortium arrangements
- Advising on the structure and execution of financing for charities and social enterprises, including social impact bonds, community investment offers for renewable energy projects, and Social Investment Tax Relief.
Qualifications and Career
- University of Cambridge, MA (First Class), 2009
- Nottingham Trent University, Graduate LLB (First Class), 2012
- Researcher, Open Road Consultancy, 2010
- Trainee solicitor at Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2012-2014
- Admitted as a solicitor at BWB, 2014
Pro Bono, Memberships and Appointments
- Secretary of UK Crowdfunding Association
- Social Security advisor with the Free Representation Unit
- Adviser at South West London Law Centres
- Trustee of Stile Antico Foundation
- Member of the Charity Law Association
- Pro bono advice to a range of charities working within international development, health and civil engagement