Partner and Head of Immigration
Philip has been advising on immigration issues all his professional life. He started his career as an employment lawyer before becoming one of the first lawyers to specialise exclusively in immigration law. Philip is now recognised as a leading expert in both business and personal immigration.
Philip heads the team of seven full-time lawyers providing specialist immigration advice to commercial, charity and individual clients in respect of Points Based System applications - including Tier 2 (General) and Tier 2 (Intra Company Transfer), Tier 1 (Entrepreneur), Tier 1 (Investor) and those applying under Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent). Additionally, Philip routinely advises on non-Points Based System applications and often advises inward investors to the UK on establishing a presence under the sole representatives route. He continues to offer strategic advice and often advises EEA and Swiss nationals or their family members on free movement rights; and continues to assist those seeking to naturalise as British citizens or seeking British citizenship under an alternative basis.
Philip’s client base is diverse and includes household names such as Nike (UK), Endemol and Atlantic Records as well as numerous leading US law firms. He has a particular interest in the field of media and advises clients including Channel 4, TalkBack, Thames and other production companies on immigration risk. He advises a number of high profile international celebrities including Snoop Dogg, Busta Rhymes, 50 Cent and advises Atlantic Records’ artists. A growing area of Philip’s practice is advising politicians and business leaders excluded from the UK for political reasons.
Philip takes interest in the reform of business and employment related immigration. He co-convenes the Immigration Law Practitioners Association Sub-Committee on Economic Migration and regularly teaches fellow professionals. He is a member of the consulting Editorial Board and contributing author to the LexisNexis PSL immigration service. He is regularly asked to comment on developments in employment-related immigration law and often appears as expert witness in legal proceedings involving immigration matters.
Philip has been listed in the Citywealth Leaders List 2015 as a leading lawyer for immigration. He was also shortlisted for a High Value Immigration Award 2014 in the category of UK Immigration Advisor of the Year.
Philip has been listed in the Who's Who 2015 publication, which is the essential directory of the noteworthy and influential people in every area of public life, published worldwide, and written by the entrants themselves.
Philip has been selected by peers for the inclusion in the 2015 Edition of Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom in the practice area of Immigration law.
Philip chaired the Immigration Law Practitioners Association Conference on Business Immigration Law in the UK, on 22 September 2014.
Philip has been nominated as the UK Immigration Advisor of the Year for the High Value Immigration Awards 2014.
Examples of recent work
- Managing the sponsor licence applications for large corporate clients applying under the Points Based System
- Challenging the refusal of an entry clearance of a successful businessman whose reasons for refusal of leave to enter were not disclosed by the UK Visas and Immigration
- Advising those who had been unlawfully refused leave to enter at the port of entry as a result of their previously spent criminal convictions
- Advising on applications being made exceptionally and outside the immigration rules where the application would be decided on a discretionary basis
- Preparing expert witness evidence in respect of those injured and pursuing personal injury claims where their immigration status would affect the amount of the damages awarded
- Managing and advising upon corporate risk in an immigration context
- Advising those subject to threat of redundancy in the city whose leave to remain was contingent on employment
- Featured as a panelist at the Investment Migration Council Event in April 2016
Qualifications and career
- University of London, LLB (Hons), 1976
- College of Law Lancaster Gate, Law Society finals, 1977
- Trained with Dale Parkinson and Lawford & Co, 1977-1979
- Partner with Lawford & Co, 1982-1988
- Partner at Thompson Snell & Passmore, 1988-1992
- Partner at Bates Wells Braithwaite, 1992