Philip has been advising on immigration issues all his professional life. He started his career as an employment lawyer before becoming one of the first lawyers to specialise exclusively in immigration law. Philip is now recognised as a leading expert in both business and personal immigration. He is the only lawyer ranked as a “Star Individual” by Chambers UK in the field of immigration.
Philip heads the team of seven full time lawyers providing specialist immigration advice to commercial, charity and individual clients in respect of Points Based System applications - including Tier 2 (General) and Tier 2 (Intra Company Transfer), Tier 1 (Entrepreneur), Tier 1 (Investor) and those applying under Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent). Additionally, Philip routinely advises on non Points Based System applications and often advises inward investors to the UK on establishing a presence under the sole representatives route. Philip continues to offer strategic advice and often advises EEA and Swiss nationals or their family members on free movement rights. Philip continues to assist those seeking to naturalise as British citizens or seeking British citizenship under an alternative basis.
Philip’s client base is diverse and includes household names such as Nike (UK), Endemol and Atlantic Records as well as numerous leading US law firms. Philip has a particular interest in the field of media and advises clients including Channel 4, TalkBack, Thames and other production companies on immigration risk. Philip advises a number of high profile international celebrities including Snoop Dogg, Busta Rhymes, 50 Cent and advisor to Atlantic Records’ artists. A growing area of Philip’s practice is advising politicians and business leaders excluded from the UK for political reasons.
Philip takes interest in the reform of business and employment related immigration. He co-convenes the Immigration Law Practitioners Association Sub-Committee on Economic Migration and regularly teaches fellow professionals. Philip is a member of the consulting Editorial Board and contributing author to the Lexis Nexis PSL immigration service. He is regularly asked to comment on developments in employment related immigration law and often appears as expert witness in legal proceedings involving immigration matters.
Philip has been listed in the Citywealth Leaders List 2013 as a leading lawyer for immigration and recently took part in a Corporate Immigration Law 2013 Roundtable. He was also shortlisted for a High Value Immigration Award 2013 in the category of UK Immigration Advisor of the Year.
Philip has been listed in the Who's Who 2014 publication. Who's Who is the essential directory of the noteworthy and influential in every area of public life, published worldwide, and written by the entrants themselves.
Philip has been selected by peers for the inclusion in the Third Edition of Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom in the practice area of Immigration law.
Examples of Recent Work
- Managing the sponsor licence applications for large corporate clients applying under the Points Based System
- Challenging the refusal of an entry clearance of a successful businessman whose reasons for refusal of leave to enter were not disclosed by the UK Border Agency
- Advising those who had been unlawfully refused leave to enter at the port of entry as a result of their previously spent criminal convictions
- Advising on applications being made exceptionally and outside the Immigration Rules where the application would be decided on a discretionary basis
- Preparing expert witness evidence in respect of those injured and pursuing personal injury claims where their immigration status would affect the amount of the damages awarded
- Managing and advising upon corporate risk in an immigration context
- Advising those subject to threat of redundancy in the city whose leave to remain was contingent on employment
Qualifications and Career
- University of London, LLB (Hons), 1976
- College of Law Lancaster Gate, Law Society finals, 1977
- Trained with Dale Parkinson and Lawford & Co, 1977-1979
- Partner with Lawford & Co, 1982-1988
- Partner Thompson Snell & Passmore, 1988-1992
- Partner Bates Wells Braithwaite in 1992