Richard has a broad range of commercial contract and related experience. Most of his work is concerned with long-term partnering arrangements such as outsourcing, joint ventures and long term supply contracts.
His particular sector focus is technology where he has advised a broad range of customer and supplier clients on technology contracts, outsourcing and related regulatory matters such as data protection, direct marketing and Bribery Act compliance.
Richard also has many years’ experience of advising on the licensing and acquisition of all forms of intellectual property and advising organisations on consumer law issues in the financial services sector and beyond.
Richard also chairs BWB's International Board.
Examples of recent work
- Advised Perkbox Limited on its £4.36m expansion fundraising
- Advised a household name retailer on outsourcing contracts
- Advised numerous companies on innovative apps
- Advised numerous companies on data protection and direct marketing compliance
- Advised a financial services company on internet-based consumer credit products
- Advised a leading supplier of B2B data on various licence and reseller agreements
- Advised on a joint venture to create and manage a law firm (formed as an Alternative Business Structure)
- Advised a software company on numerous licences and reseller agreements
- Advised a publisher on a printing services agreement
- Advised on a global consortium agreement in the education sector
- Advised a leading optical supplier on a collaborative joint-venture to exploit co-developed intellectual property
- Advised a global corporate on a tax-driven intellectual property restructuring
- Advised on outsourcing in a variety of different contexts including engineering process outsourcing, facilities management, direct sales (door-to-door fundraising) and travel process outsourcing
Qualifications and career
- Durham University, BA (Hons) Law
- Trained at Travers Smith, 1992
- Assistant solicitor at Travers Smith, 1994
- Partner at Travers Smith, 2002
- Partner at Lawrence Graham, 2008
- Partner at Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2011
Pro bono, memberships and appointments
- Secretary of The City of London Law Society Commercial Law Committee
- UK Local Representative - ITechLaw
- Society for Computers & Law
- Member of Tech UK
- Board member of social housing project