Richard is experienced in all aspects of commercial property transactions and has been involved in a wide variety of transactions including acquisitions, disposals, auctions, leasing, development, secured lending, landlord and tenant and property management matters. Richard acts for a range of clients including charities, investors, non-governmental organisations, community interest companies, retail specialists, providers of managed offices, developers, insolvency practitioners and funders.
Examples of Recent Work
- Acting on behalf of UK and international companies and joint venture clients in connection with the redevelopment, letting, funding, management and disposal of retail, leisure and multi-screen cinema complexes in London and the South.
- Acting for a specialist office space provider in relation to the leasing of key sites in London and the regions for the provision of bespoke managed office facilities.
- Advising well-known charity sector clients on their leasing requirements of a number of London offices, retail and restaurant premises.
- Advising a well-known international bank and their advisors and insolvency practitioners on a wide variety of financing and disposals of commercial and residential property developments across London and the South East.
- Acting on behalf of a leading campaign society on an auction purchase of a central London office building with a complex planning history.
- Advising on the leasing of premises within prime central London office developments, including The Gherkin, for US and UK clients in the insurance and technology sectors.
- Advising an ethical bank on a number of secured lending transactions to organisations in a range of sectors, from care homes to housing associations and sports clubs.
- Acting for a number of institutional investors and their portfolio asset managers on the leasing and disposals of multi-let properties for use as retail, leisure, hotels and serviced apartments, offices, warehousing and distribution.
- Advised FM Conway Limited on its acquisition of United Asphalt.
Qualifications and Career
- LLB Cardiff University: 1999-2002
- LPC Cardiff Law School: 2002 - 2003
- Admitted as a solicitor 2006
- Trainee solicitor, Nabarro Nathanson, 2004 – 2006
- Associate solicitor, Nabarro LLP, Commercial Property, 2006 – 2010
- Assistant solicitor, Shepherd & Wedderburn LLP in London, Commercial Property, 2011 - 2015
- Joined Bates Wells Braithwaite as Senior Associate, Commercial Property, 2015
Pro Bono, Memberships and Appointments
- Active member of the Urban Land Institute