Rosamund advises a wide range of charities, foundations and public benefit organisations (national and international) on establishment, campaigning, governance, philanthropy, fundraising and enterprise activities. She also advises on mergers, restructures and incorporations. Her clients include start-ups, household name charities, international foundations, campaigning bodies, membership bodies, royal charter bodies and corporate foundations. Rosamund enjoys working across a broad range of sectors including children and young people, the arts, education, health, human rights, the humanities, international development and faith-based charities.
Rosamund has a particular interest in election and campaigning law and advises donors, funders and non-party campaigners on elections and referendas.
Rosamund is recommended as a leading Charity Lawyer by Chambers and Legal 500, was nominated as a Super Lawyer in 2014 and appears in the 2015 edition of Best Lawyers in the UK.
Rosamund is also recommended for advice on election law, included within BWB's Legal 500 Tier 1 Electoral Law ranking.
Examples of recent work
Rosamund has recently given advice on:
- Innovative charity applications, including wide ranging public benefit issues
- Campaigning, political and electoral activites: particularly in relation to the 2015 General Election, the 2016 Scottish Parliament, Welsh Assembly and London Mayoral elections and the EU Referendum
- Mergers and restructures
- Charity Commission investigations, reviews and regulatory compliance
- Governance and membership for a wide range of charitable, professional and campaigning bodies including disciplinary matters
- Philanthropy, corporate social responsibility and international funding for corporate foundations
- Sponsorship and brand issues for literary prizes and other arts organisations
- International grant-giving and compliance for donor advised funds, to include HMRC and Charity Commission guidance
Qualifications and career
- University of Bristol, BSC (Hons)
- Joined Bates Wells Braithwaite as a trainee in 1992
- Appointed as a Partner in 1999
- Period of consultancy for BWB from 2002-2006, before being reappointed as a Partner
Pro bono, memberships and appointments
- Founder and first chair of Poet in the City
- Lecturer and governance trainer for Onboard, BWB and other providers
- Member of the Charity Law Association and various working parties
- Member of the Lotteries Council, Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts
- Member of the Advisory Council of the AVA Foundation
- Board and company secretarial experience including being a former Trustee of the Small Charities Coalition and Free Word
- Trustee of Citizens UK
- Trustee of the Friend Publications
Publications and lectures
- Contributing author to “The Fundraisers Guide to the Law” (Directory of Social Change)
- Contributing author to “Jordans Charities Administration Service”
- Regular commentator in the media