Ross has experience across a broad range of media litigation cases including defamation, privacy, data protection, and copyright law. In addition to litigation, Ross provides pre-publication advice broadcasters, newspaper publishers, content providers, and charities.
He has acted for both claimants and defendants and has particular expertise in internet disputes including the removal of defamatory material from social media and advising clients on their liability for third party content.
He also has experience in dealing with regulatory bodies such as Ofcom and IPSO.
Ross joined Bates Wells Braithwaite in November 2015.
Examples of Recent Work
Bates Wells Braithwaite
- Acting for the defendant in Flood v Times Newspapers Limited (costs)
- Advising on a complaint to IPSO regarding an article in a national newspaper
- Pre-publication advice to a magazines on defamation, privacy and contempt matters; advising a student newspaper on court reporting
- Advising a student union on defamation risks in online streaming of a debate
- Advising a charity on the removal of a defamatory statement in an online newsletter
- Advising clients responding to subject access and freedom of information requests
- Advising charities on regulatory issues relating to promotional commercial arrangements
- Acting for the defendants in Fiddes v Channel 4 Television Corporation and Bewry v Reed Elsevier UK Ltd
- Acting for the claimant in OPO v James Rhodes
- Advising an MP on the removal of defamatory content from Twitter
- Defending a national newspaper in a privacy and defamation claim by a former international footballer
- Advising a national broadcaster on lifting automatic court reporting restrictions for documentary series
- Advising a production company defending a privacy claim arising out of a police documentary
- Advising an author in relation to copyright infringement arising out of an unauthorised musical satire production parodying her book
- Advising a screenplay writer in a copyright dispute
Qualifications and Career
- University College London, LLB
- LLM in Advanced Legal Practice
- Northumbria University, Legal Practice Course
- Trained at Simons Muirhead & Burton
- Qualified in 2010
- Practised at ACK Media Law
- Joined Bates Wells Braithwaite in 2015 as an Associate