Sinead provides legal support to the Charity & Social Enterprise department, including assistance with the formation and restructuring of charitable companies, CIOs, CICs and other public benefit organisations.
Sinead coordinates the firm's Public Services, Procurement & State Aid cross departmental group, and is experienced in providing governance, due diligence and restructure advice to local authorities and spin out organisations. She also supports the firm's PSL team in researching the legal and political implications of the EU referendum, and is a member of the firm's Safeguarding cross-sector group.
Sinead also coordinates the firm's company secretarial services to over 200 clients through BWB Secretarial Limited, and has particular experience in providing board support to various commercial entities.
Prior to joining BWB, Sinead worked at the charity sector umbrella body, Charity Finance Group and the pro bono charity, LawWorks.
Examples of Recent Work
- Assisting with the formation of charitable companies, CIOs and CICs, including applications with the Charity Commission and Companies House, drafting governing documents and advising on compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Advising on collaborative and funding arrangements, including the drafting of collaboration, affiliation and grant agreements.
- Assisting fee earners with various international and domestic restructures and mergers (particularly those involving public services), including conducting due diligence, arranging dissolutions, and drafting transfer agreements and other transfer documentation.
- Ongoing research on the legal and political implications of the EU referendum, particularly for charities and not for profits.
- Providing support to senior fee-earners across departments on a range of charity and company law matters.
Qualifications and Career
- Joined Bates Wells Braithwaite in 2016
- University of Law, LPC (Distinction), 2015 - 2017
- Charity Finance Group 2014 – 2016
- LawWorks, 2013 - 2014
- Legal and marketing internship in Shanghai, 2012 - 2013
- Nottingham Law School, GDL, 2011 - 2012
- University of Nottingham, LLM Human Rights Law, 2010 – 2011
- University College Cork, Law, 2007 – 2010
Pro Bono, Memberships and Appointments
- Volunteer, South West London Law Centre, 2016 - present
- Volunteer, Mind Yourself, 2013 - present
- Volunteer, London Legal Support Trust, 2014 - 2015
- Student Legal Advisor, Nottingham Student Legal Advice Centre, 2011 - 2012
- Researcher, Amicus Society, 2011 – 2012
- Social Secretary and Rolling President, University of Nottingham, 2010 - 2011
- Housing advisor, Threshold National Housing Organisation, 2010