Stephen has extensive experience of advising issuers, nomads, brokers and financial advisers on private placings, IPOs (AIM and the Main Market of London Stock Exchange), secondary fundraising and dual listings. In addition to advising on UK capital markets, Stephen’s main practice areas include mergers and acquisitions (acting for both public and private companies), rights issues, joint ventures and corporate reorganisations. Stephen has considerable experience representing clients in the natural resources industry and has acted for numerous clients who are domiciled or have interests in Africa and Asia.
Examples of recent work
- Advised Schleuniger Holding AG on its acquisition of a 20 per cent strategic investment stake in LW Solutions Ltd
- Advised on the sale of Eos Wealth Management Limited to Close Brothers Asset Management
- Advised Blenheim Natural Resources Plc on its acquisition of a 27.17 per cent strategic investment stake in IGS (International Geoscience Services) Limited.
- Advised Research Views Limited and its shareholders on the international pre-sale reorganisation and subsequent £67m sale of the GlobalData healthcare business and simultaneous acquisition of a print business.
- Acted for SP Angel Corporate Finance LLP, in its capacity as broker to Mosman Oil and Gas Limited (“Mosman”), an AIM listed oil exploration and development company, in connection with Mosman’s £500,000 placing and subscription of 10,000,000 new ordinary shares.
- Acted for a TSX listed retailer of natural gas and electricity on the admission of its US$150 million unsecured convertible bonds to the Official List maintained by the Financial Conduct Authority (“FCA”) and to trading on the Professional Securities Market operated by the London Stock Exchange Plc (“LSE”).
- Acted for the proposed nominated adviser to an ASX listed natural resource company in connection with the company’s proposed fast track admission to AIM. The application for admission was cancelled on the business day prior to the proposed date of admission due to the recommended acquisition of the company via an Australian Scheme of Arrangement.
- Acted for the financial advisers of a TSX-V listed independent international oil and gas exploration and development company on the company’s admission to the standard listing segment of the Official List maintained by the FCA and the admission of its common shares to trading on the LSE’s main market for listed securities.
- Acted for an AIM listed oil and gas exploration and production company on a £5.5 million convertible loan note issue and open offer.
- Acted for an AIM listed healthcare company in the sale of one of its trading subsidiaries for up to £3.2 million.
- Acted for the nominated adviser and broker to a TSX-V listed mining company in connection with the company’s £9.5 million placing and admission to trading on AIM.
- Acted for a Chinese designer, manufacturer and distributor of children’s outdoor clothing, footwear and equipment in connection with the company’s £6.4 million placing and admission to trading on AIM.
- Acted for a broker in relation to a TSX-V listed mining company’s C$17m private placement.
Qualifications and career
- University of York, B.A. (Hons), History and Politics, 2002
- The College of Law of England and Wales, Post Graduate Diploma, Law, 2003
- The College of Law of England and Wales, Legal Practice Course, 2004
- Solicitor at Joelson Wilson LLP, 2007
- Associate at Fasken Martineau LLP, 2011
- Senior Associate at Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2014
- Partner at Bates Wells Braitwaite, 2016
Pro bono, memberships and appointments
- The Law Society of England and Wales