Having trained and worked at two leading City firms, Thomas has broad experience in a range of commercial and corporate departments, where he eventually specialised in EU & Competition law.
His experiences also include a range of charity work ranging from NGO campaigning to contentious cases advocating for women’s rights, fair labour laws, transgender rights, employment law, prison law, gay rights, gun control and hate crime.
Examples of recent work
- Advising on establishing charities and CICs, including trading subsidiaries.
- Advising on innovative social enterprise spin-outs and local authority restructuring.
- Advising on charity mergers in a range of charity sectors including international development charities, additional needs and education.
- Advising on a range of commercial agreements and constitutional documents such as articles of association, collaboration, finance, donation, participation and service agreements in a range of charitable sectors including housing, health and disease, sport, drug addict prevention, education, international development and criminal justice.
- Advising on political activities carried out by charities and NGOs, including Charity Commission and Electoral Commission regulation.
- Advising on conflicts of interest and other legal issues regarding charity and social enterprise management.
- Advising a range of sports clubs and representative bodies including in relation to charitable status and HMRC’s CASC status.
- Advising trade unions in relation to constitutional matters and innovative projects.
Qualifications and career
- BA (Hons) – Durham University
- MPhil – University of Cambridge
- Graduate Diploma in Law – College of Law
- Legal Practice Course – BBP Law School
Pro bono, memberships and appointments
- Sits on BWB’s Diversity and Inclusion Forum
- Was a Labour Prospective Parliamentary Candidate in the 2015 general election
- Has experience as a school governor at a school for children with autism
- Has experience as a Special Constable with the Metropolitan Police
- Barnardo’s young person mentor