If your organisation is committed to doing business in a way that is values-driven as well as profitable, our team is uniquely positioned to offer advice.
We understand the “triple bottom line” approach to business, in which commercial organisations seek to benefit people and planet, as well as to make a profit. We have been instrumental in the establishment of B Corporations in the UK and invite you to tap into our experience and expertise to help you on your B Corp journey.
B Corps are for-profit businesses committed to redefining success in business by introducing new standards of social and environmental performance. Companies limited by shares, companies limited by guarantee, LLPs, community interest companies and a range of other structures are all eligible for accreditation.
Whether you are considering B Corp certification and are looking for guidance on the process, or are an established B Corp seeking new ways to embed your principles and values further in your business, we can help.
We have B Corp-aware lawyers in every department who both share your values and have knowledge of the B Corp standards. Settling a discrimination claim, dealing with a waste disposal hazard or agreeing a new supplier contract/process all have – positive or negative - B Corp implications.
How we help
The blended expertise of our solicitors and our Impact and Advisory teams means we can go beyond legal advice to fully support you throughout your application. We can advise:
- practical steps to strengthen your application, including a review of governance processes and employment structures and practices;
- the creation of bespoke and innovative legal, constitutional and governance structures;
- how to articulate the social identity and purpose of your business into its constitution;
- the use of concepts such as “golden shareholding” and “mission lock” to entrench and embed mission and social identity in constitutional documents;
- efficiency and sustainability issues affecting the premises you own or occupy;
- what the legal requirements for a B Corp mean in your circumstances and how they relate to your existing constitutional documents and/or shareholder agreements.
Our team is uniquely placed to advise on the certification process, having advised on the establishment of B Corporations in the UK. Luke Fletcher and Louise Harman have been instrumental in the development of the legal test for B Corps in the UK. Both currently sit on B Lab UK’s policy council, shaping policy and considering regulatory issues.
As the first law firm in the UK to certify as a B Corp, we bring first-hand insight and experience to our legal advice.
You may be interested in the following event:
For many B Corps re-certification will soon be upon them and improving their scores will be a priority. This seminar will focus on the basics of employment law for B Corps in light of the re-certification process.
Tue 14 Mar 2017 BWB Events Read More and Book >