As the leading charity, social enterprise and not-for-profit firm in the country, we have been privileged to act for some of the best known environmental organisations and campaigners in the UK for many years.
Our environment practice includes not only work with leading charities and environmental organisations, but working with businesses and organisations that are addressing their environmental impact as a business-critical issue.
Our clients in the charity, social enterprise, local government, business and finance sectors are developing exciting new business models and exploiting new technologies to address some of the biggest issues of our time.
We are also working with a significant number of individuals to create community owned renewable energy schemes.
We believe that the wider environmental and ethical implications of our actions should be considered at all times and this belief is demonstrated by the breadth and depth of the firm’s commitment to reducing its impact on the environment.
In July 2012, BWB was awarded the bronze award as part of the Mayor of London’s Green Procurement Code for the second year in a row, and we continue to work towards the silver award.
For more information about our environment strategy, see Our Environment.
We have many years of experience working with charities, social enterprises and other organisations in the environmental field on a national and international scale, including the Marine Stewardship Council, Environment Council, Institute for European Environmental Policy, WaterAid, World Wildlife Fund, Friends of the Earth, Greenpeace Environmental Trust, World Society for the Protection of Animals and the Eden Project.
- BWB is committed to providing service of the highest quality for clients we respect.
- As a cross-departmental team, we can offer your organisation legal advice across a wide range of areas.
- We are the leading advisers in the fast‑developing social and community investment market.
- Our corporate and commercial lawyers can advise on any aspect of your business, with a particular focus on the technology sector, including clean‑tech.
- You can also call on our expertise and experience in community energy and employment, immigration and dispute resolution.
Our experience includes:
- Advising Energy4All Ltd, since 2004, in relation to the development of its first community windfarm project and its subsequent projects.
- Advising a funder on an investment platform intended to facilitate community investment into renewable energy schemes.
- Advising on an international commercial participation arrangement involving one of the largest not-for profit networks in the environmental sector.
- Advising a community group in relation to the structuring and finance of its community energy project and establishing a community energy consultancy service.
- Advising a consortium of bodies that collect environmental data from local authorities, planners and others.
- Advising a community group on arrangements to set up a renewable energy co-operative; on draft documentation, including a roof lease for solar panels, and on partnering arrangements with suppliers and property owners.
- Advising a number of community and public benefit hydro-projects on property matters, structuring, finance and development
- Advising on a joint venture project with councils and regional development agencies supporting the domestic energy efficiency and micro-generation sectors.
- Establishing ‘the promotion of the environment’ and ‘the promotion of sustainability’ as new, distinct charitable purposes.
- Advising on the hiving out from an international environmental charity of an environmentally-focussed investment forum.
- Advising on the governance issues relating to a national sustainable energy trade association.
- Advising on a global initiative to raise funds to finance research and development and interventions in combating climate change.
- Advising a major financial institution on developing a loyalty card to encourage customers to reduce their carbon footprint.
- Establishing numerous start-up sustainable development charities.
- Advising environmental campaigning organisations in relation to the Charity Commission’s guidelines on campaigning and political activities.
- Continuing advice on environmental campaigns for a well known international environmental charity.
- Collaborating with Forum for the Future to co-author Funding Revolution: a guide to establishing and running low-carbon community revolving funds to help local authorities, housing associations and community groups set up community energy projects as well as detailed advice on how to make the most impact with a fund.
- Working with the Institute for Sustainability to develop models for the delivery of environmental innovations and efficiencies of scale.
- Advising on and supporting lobbying initiatives in relation to the implications of changes to Feed In Tariffs and their interaction with tax incentives, grant funding and State Aid rules.
- Advising on the establishment of an English charity by the Wildlife Conservation Society, a US charity.