BWB has been at the forefront of the social investment market for over two decades. We represented the Bishop of Oxford in the 1991 case which established the ability of charities to engage in socially responsible investment. We have advised on most of the significant development in the social investment market ever since and remain at the cutting-edge today.
Our Social Finance team, which works closely with our Corporate and Finance teams, has an unsurpassed depth of knowledge and experience of the legal and practical issues affecting charities, social enterprises, investors and intermediaries engaging in social finance activity.
We advise a wide range of asset managers, banks, investment advisers and other businesses involved in social finance and investment transactions, including:
- Preparing loan and security documentation for secured and unsecured lending
- Advising on equity investment in social enterprises
- Advising on investment fund structures and establishment
- Advising on social impact bond structures and investments
- Advising on the charity law aspects of social finance activity
- Designing quasi-equity instruments, including revenue participation and royalties
- Advising on community interest company dividend and interest caps
- Advising on intermediary activity, including crowd-funding and peer-to-peer lending
- Preparing share and loan issue documentation for public and community offers
- Managing the financial services aspects of transactions
- Advising on all related regulatory, constitutional and governance issues
Most social finance transactions are bespoke and require tailor-made solutions which honour the integrity and social purpose of the organisation benefiting from the investment. Our historic strengths in charity and social enterprise give us a profound insight into the distinctive features and imperatives which shape social investment transactions.
BWB is a member of the Global Impact Investing Network.