BWB’s Dispute Resolution and Litigation team is made up of experienced litigators with a wide-ranging practice. We can assist you in achieving time and cost effective resolutions to any dispute you may have, including formal or informal negotiation, mediation, bringing and defending proceedings, obtaining and enforcing judgments and other Court orders and, where necessary, obtaining urgent asset freezing orders, search orders and other injunctions.
Our approach to resolving disputes is business sensitive: we look for innovative ways to solve our clients’ problems as quickly and as cost-effectively as possible, and, as we understand that our clients' interests are rarely best served by their becoming embroiled in lengthy and costly dispute procedures, we aim to resolve matters in a way that preserves the relationship between the parties.
In addition to having extensive experience of litigation (predominantly High Court, including general Chancery and QBD, as well as Commercial Court and Technology and Construction Court ), we are experienced in acting in arbitrations, adjudications in construction disputes, and in other forms of alternative dispute resolution including mediation. Our Head of Department, Malcolm Robson, is an accredited CEDR (Centre for Dispute Resolution) mediator.
We act for companies, SMEs, charities/not for profit organisations, educational institutions, regulatory bodies, trustees and private individuals.
We regularly act for and advise clients and other lawyers who are based outside the UK, and deal with matters involving international and cross-border issues.
Key Practice Areas
- Corporate/commercial contract disputes
- Company and partnership disputes (including s.994 petitions)
- Insolvency matters (corporate and personal)
- Fraud and asset recovery
- Debt recovery
- Professional negligence claims
- Disputes involving charities and their trustees
- Intellectual property claims
- Legacy and probate disputes
- Building and construction disputes
- Product liability
- Defamation claims
In addition, members of our team are frequently appointed as Supervising Solicitors on the execution of search orders.
Examples of Recent Work
- Acted for The Sunday Times, David Walsh and Alan English in the 2012 High Court proceedings against cyclist Lance Armstrong. Achieved a confidential settlement with which our clients were “entirely happy”
- Acted for the successful claimant company in a high value arbitration relating to various contract disputes. Obtained an award for substantial damages, commercial rate interest, and costs
- Acted for a charity in respect of a fraud by an internal financial officer, including obtaining urgent interim freezing order to prevent dissipation of assets and obtaining judgment and a charging order over property to secure judgment, interest and costs
- Acted for a defendant subject to a freezing order in a claim in deceit by a creditor of two insolvent foreign exchange trading companies which were formerly owned and managed by the defendant
- Acted for the claimants in successful proceedings to confirm the validity of their appointment as trustees of a large religious charity
- Acted for the trustees of a religious charity, successfully resisting an application by the trustee in bankruptcy to the charity’s former trustees for payment of charitable funds into the bankrupt estates
- Acted for a charity in respect of a dispute regarding alleged misuse of confidential information and intellectual property infringement arising from a tripartite agreement
- Acted for a charity to recover funds raised in breach of trust by a third party infringing the charity’s name and logo
- Acted for the successful claimant in a High Court (Chancery) claim concerning the construction and meaning of a particular clause in a homemade will
- Acted for a national children’s charity in its defence to a claim brought under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975. Negotiated a pre-trial settlement on terms advantageous to our client
- Regularly instructed to advise a large white goods manufacturer on product liability and health and safety issues regarding potential claims and/or prosecution
If you are seeking specific advice about one of our key practice areas, please click on the appropriate link.
Dispute Resolution Guides
Read our Dispute Resolution Guides >
Supervising Solicitor Services
Learn more about our Supervising Solicitor Services >