The firm's knowledge of the charities and not-for-profit sector is unparalleled"
Legal 500 2017
BWB is ranked in the top tier of charity law firms by the legal directories Chambers UK and Legal 500. We have the largest dedicated charity and social enterprise team in the UK and we act for more charity clients than any other firm by some margin. Our clients range from household-name charities to innovative startups, from international organisations to local community groups.
Our reputation is founded not only on the excellence of our work and the size of our client base and legal team but on the exceptional contribution we have made to legal developments in the sector.
As part of our wider involvement in the charity and social enterprise sector, we have developed and driven through new legal forms, such as Community Amateur Sports Club and the Community Interest Company.
We take a broad view of the sector and, as well as being leading experts in pure charity law and acting for charities of all types across the whole spectrum of charitable activities, we advise all kinds of non-profit and public interest organisations, including campaigning groups, government departments, local government, non-departmental public bodies, trade associations, trade unions and others.
We support the full corporate and commercial legal needs of our charity, social enterprise and other public interest organisation clients, providing advice on, among other things:
- establishment of new organisations
- restructuring - from incorporations through to mergers and group re-organisations
- compliance and regulatory work, including Charity Commission and other regulatory inquiries
- internal disputes
- legacy management and legacy disputes
- fundraising and tax
- commercial contracts
- public procurement, state aid and tendering
- intellectual property development and protection
- data protection and other information law
- social franchising
In addition to specialist charity law advice, our other legal teams are experts in the application of their area of law to non-profit clients. For example, our Employment team acts at the cutting edge of law relating to volunteers; our Real Estate team is familiar with all the complexities of trust law; and our Dispute Resolution team is fully aware of the specific requirements of charity litigation.
As well as our legal services, we take an active role in communicating best practice in the sector, including:
- lectures on a variety of legal issues affecting charities, including fundraising and governance
- bespoke training and regular seminars and events
- governance development and support through our OnBoard consultancy.
- writing and editing books on charity law
- contributing articles to a range of publications
- an extensive events programme
- active engagement with communities and organisations itnerested in the developemnt of the sector
We regularly publish legal updates and eflashes for our charity clients – see our Knowledge section for more.
Thinking about… merger
A joint publication with IVAR (the Institute for Voluntary Action Research) looking at the issues organisations should consider when looking at a potential merger.
Download for free
Duties of Charity Trustees
BWB’s pocket-sized guide to trusteeship, which is a must for every charity board.
Download for free
For more information on our legal services for charities, please refer to the links below:
Advertising & Marketing Law >
Competition Law >
Electoral Law >
Faith-based Organisations >
Media Disputes >
Media and Arts >
Property Dispute Resolution >
Public Services & Mutuals >
Trade Marks >
You may be interested in the following event:
Charities have to work hard to obtain donors and supporters but don't always claim as much Gift Aid as they could.
This seminar aims to give attendees ideas of how to improve the amount of Gift Aid cash they receive from existing donors and supporters. They should find this much easier than recruiting new supporters.
Wed 28 Feb 2018 BWB Events Read More and Book >