Bates Wells Braithwaite's strong team is rated for it's clear advice and fantastic awareness”
Legal 500 2017
We have an outstanding reputation for our services for not-for-profit, education and voluntary sector employers, who value our practical, ‘can do’ advice. We work with more charities, higher education, further education and cultural institutions than any other law firm in the UK, from household names to small local charities.
We are uniquely knowledgeable on complex employment issues that are specific to charities, such as the challenges to faith-based charities of meeting equality requirements, the legal position of volunteers and governance and strike issues for educational institutions. In particular, we are sensitive to delivering advice that fits within the charity’s specific values and ethos, but is also commercially sensible - enabling clients to make the necessary decisions and to support managers in delivering active performance management of staff.
We have particular expertise in the following areas (please click on the links to access knowhow on the topic):
- All areas of discrimination law including discrimination involving age, gender, race, ethnic origin and nationality, disability, religion or belief, sexual orientation
- Redundancies: from small to large scale, collective consultation obligations and redundancy payments
- Unfair dismissal, wrongful dismissal and constructive dismissal
- Departures, negotiating termination payments and settlement agreements
- Transfer of Businesses: informing and consulting staff, supplying employee liability information, conducting due diligence, restructuring and all other matters relating to TUPE
- Employer obligations to employees in relation to maternity, paternity and parental leave, flexible working, employee benefits, national minimum wage, salary sacrifice schemes and tax and National Insurance obligations, and health and safety
- Disciplinary and Grievance matters: ensuring a fair procedure is followed, handling multiple grievances, whistleblowing and public interest issues and matters relating to a misuse of social media by employees
- Restraint of Trade/Team Moves: Enforceability of restrictive covenants, confidentiality agreements and garden leave
- Employment Status: duties towards employees and self-employed workers, casual workers, agency staff, individuals on work placements and interns
- Contracts of Employment: Drafting and reviewing and varying contracts of employment and executive service agreements, disciplinary and grievance procedures, staff handbooks and policies and staff pension schemes
- Working time (holiday pay)
- Data protection law as it relates to employment
- Employing staff outside of the UK
- Mediation: We frequently assist clients with mediating disputes. Martin Bunch (a partner in the Employment team) is a CEDR-accredited Mediator.
- Internal investigations: Our lawyers are experienced in conducting internal investigations on behalf of employers, particularly where there is a specific need for independent oversight
- Staff pension schemes.
We also undertake HR audits, ranging from a review of your terms and conditions and policies, to identifying potentially discriminatory practices and working with you to resolve them. This work can include advising on lawful means to address equality imbalance, which can include equal pay audits to ensure your remuneration practices do not risk a potential equal pay claim.
Our additional services for charities include a comprehensive program of Employment Training Services, which includes regular seminars and training sessions, Mock Employment Tribunals for your key staff, as well as bespoke sessions for your senior managers on the key employment issues for your charity.
To discuss our training services, please contact us on email@example.com.
You may be interested in the following event:
"Due to unforeseen circumstances, this event is cancelled"
This webinar will deal with the practicalities of running a successful settlement negotiation and entering into a settlement agreement.
Tue 16 Oct 2018 Webinars Read More and Book >