This event is now over and took place on Wed 10 Oct 2012
Event SummaryDoes your charity want to fundraise from or establish a charitable entity in the US? This seminar led by Michael Durham, attorney at Caplin and Drysdale (a leading US firm advising non-profits) will cover:
- Setting up an entity in the US - including “Friends of Funds”.
- Alternatives to setting up in the US: for example, using intermediaries (eg CAF or Global Giving) or fiscal sponsorship.
- Direct giving by US individuals to UK charities.
- US tax treatment of UK charities.
- IRS tightening of filing requirements for UK charities.
- Recent automatic revocation of tax–exempt status for UK charities that had obtained US exempt status
Stephen Lloyd, Senior Partner of BWB will present on how the UK can learn from US developments in social finance.
The seminar will conclude with a panel discussion including a dialogue on the similarities and differences between US and UK regulators.
Lindsay Driscoll, Consultant at BWB, Chair of the International Centre for Not-for-Profit Law and former Charity Commissioner will join the Panel.
4:30pm – 5:00pm Registration
5:00pm – 5:10pm Welcome : Rosamund McCarthy, Partner BWB
5:10pm – 5:50pm Michael Durham, Caplin & Drysdale
5:50pm – 6:05pm Stephen Lloyd: Social Investment
6:05pm – 6.45pm Panel discussion : Rosamund McCarthy, Michael Durham, Stephen Lloyd, Lindsay Driscoll
6.45pm – 8.00pm Drinks
BWB, 2-6 Cannon St., London EC4M 6YH