This event is now over and took place on Wed 08 Jul 2015
Stress, depression and anxiety are now the most common causes of long-term sickness absence. These conditions pose unique difficulties for employers. Very often employees will seek to conceal the nature and extent of their condition until issues come to a head. Even where a diagnosis is available, it is frequently far from clear what adjustments ought to be made and how far an employer should go to accommodate and support an employee.
This two-hour seminar will focus on the difficult issue of reasonable adjustments and dismissals in cases concerning underperformance and absence related to stress, anxiety and depression. It will provide delegates with a clear understanding of the law and outline practical strategies for effectively managing the causes and consequences of mental ill health at work.
This seminar will cover the following issues:
• Avoiding workplace triggers
• Early detection and prevention
• Understanding when stress, depression and anxiety qualify as a disability
• Reasonable adjustments – how far must an employer go?
• When is it permissible / appropriate to dismiss on health grounds?
• Addressing and resolving problem areas:
- the perennial sick note
- impractical / imprecise occupational health advice
- the impact of alcohol and drugs
- covering business critical functions
- causative factors outside of work
• How to tackle risk factors
Why choose this course?
Delegates will receive:
• A practical explanation of the legal framework
• Comprehensive notes and materials
• Step-by-step guidance on how to manage long-term/ intermittent absence and underperformance
• Top tips on addressing impractical or unclear occupational health advice
• Template letters/ documents
Who should attend?
• HR managers and directors
• In-house counsel
• CEOs and CFOs
• Line managers
• Trustees and non-executive directors
6.00pm- Networking and drinks
£75 (excl. VAT)
Please click here to view our cancellation and refund policy
Future Employment Events
Please click here to download our brochure for a full list of upcoming events.
Bates Wells Braithwaite at 10 Queen Street Place, EC4R 1BE