This event is now over and took place on Wed 12 Jul 2017
This year's BWB Breakfast Serial will distil the expertise of our sector-leading charity lawyers into nine bitesize seminars.
Whether you’re representing a new charity or are simply in need of a refresher, these free sessions will provide knowledge and clarity on all of your key issues.
This session provides an introduction into key areas of UK data protection law, as applies to charities, including:
- An introduction/refresher on key concepts such as ‘personal data’, ‘data controllers’ and ‘data processors’;
- An overview of the eight ‘data protection principles’ in the Data Protection Act 1998, including:
• the need to provide “fair processing information” to individuals when processing their data*;
• rules that apply when sending personal data outside of Europe;
• rules on the length of time for which it is lawful to retain personal data;
• individuals’ rights; and
• the need to have security arrangements in place;
- An overview of key changes made by the upcoming General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) from May 2018.
*Please note that, while we will very briefly cover fundraising/“direct marketing” issues (for example, opt-in, opt-out, but this will be covered in more detail in the Essential Fundraising session) the main focus of this talk will be the eight data protection principles.
8:00am Registration and breakfast
8:30am - 9:30am Seminar
BWB's new offices at 10 Queen Street Place, EC4R 1BE