Head of Education
Caraline has over 20 years’ experience in local government law and vires with specialisms in social care, information law and education law. She spent the first part of her career in-house in local government rising to assistant head of legal before coming into private practice. She is head of our Education group and has particular expertise on school issues and the complexities of education land. She has worked all over the country advising on a full range of state education issues including policy initiatives, building programmes, funding and grants, projects, shared use, SEN, admissions and exclusions, tribunal work, appeals, child protection and safety issues. Her clients include central government, NDPBs, local authorities, regulators, charities and schools. She has provided training nationally on many education issues including running conferences on academies and has both written for and edited the journal 'Education, Public Law and the Individual'.
Examples of recent work
- Advice and training on the academies programme and legislation to schools, local authorities and other educational professionals
- Negotiating CTAs on numerous school conversions around England including Bristol, Somerset, West Berkshire, Slough and London
- Drafting bespoke agreements for shared use of leisure facilities, car parking and other buildings post-conversion to ensure equity between academy and community use
- Drafting bespoke agreements for academy schools housing SEN units including ensuring that SEN provisions in the Funding Agreements accord with agreed local SEN protocols, defining responsibility for additional funding and teaching and ownership of equipment including health provided aids
- Commercial contract advice to schools
- Advising on the amendments to the property provisions in the Academies Act effected by the 2011 legislation and the effect of this on disposals by schools
- School capital project advice including funding sources and land issues
- Information law advice to schools including data protection and freedom of information
Qualifications and career
- LLB(Hons), Dip L.G.
- Articled clerk at Stockport MBC, 1989-91
- Solicitor at Lancashire CC, 1991-94
- Solicitor at Bolton MBC, 1994-96
- Group leader of personal services at Oldham MBC, 1996-98
- Assistant head of legal services, Leicester City Council, 1998-2000
- Associate at Wragge & Co, 2000-2004
- Associate at Bevan Brittan LLP, 2004-2008
- Senior associate at Bevan Brittan LLP, 2008-2013
Pro bono, memberships and appointments
- Treasurer and executive committee member of the Education Law Association
- Editorial board of 'Education, Public Law and the Individual'