Carla is an experienced researcher and project manager who works with public, private and not-for-profit organisations to help them understand and communicate the impact, in particular social impact, that they achieve through their work. Carla also works with organisations to generate and use insight to help develop service offerings and alternative funding models, including social investment propositions. Her research experience includes conducting and overseeing action research projects and qualitative research, including ethnography. This work spans health, medical services, wellbeing, communities and support services such as debt counselling, and children.
She worked with Jim Clifford OBE and the teams at Baker Tilly and BWB to project manage the development and launch of the first charity-led social impact bond – ‘It’s all about me’ which aims to reduce the number of children in care by enabling more successful permanent adoptions.
Carla continues to collaborate with former colleagues at Baker Tilly to deliver projects in these arenas.
Previous experience includes running innovation programmes at Nesta’s Public Services Lab and Creative Economy teams, with the aim of stimulating radical innovation and the adoption of new models by public, private and not-for-profit sectors. These included a number of challenging areas such as families in crisis, community wellbeing, mental wellbeing, education, rehabilitation, and employment; as well as mentoring and innovation to foster growth within the creative economy.
Carla has also worked with the private sector through consultancy firms ZinC and Strategyn running research projects to gain insight into users’ needs and highlight areas of opportunity for innovation and growth, including the health and home-care sectors. Other private experience also includes the publishing and insurance sectors.
Themes that have taken hold of Carla’s imagination include the social and economic value of human relationships and how to enable these to grow and flourish for social good, whatever the sector. A previous career in nutritional therapy also means that Carla has a deep interest in health and medical projects.
Examples of recent work
- Development of the social impact bond, 'It’s all about me'
- Development of an outcomes framework to support a merger between community development organisations in East London
- Debt counselling services SROI evaluation
- Social impact of hip and knee procedures
- Social impact of a medical transplant
- Evaluation of a national government programme
- Social impact of a local leisure provision
- Management and evaluation of Reboot Britain and Collaborative Consumption, a £2 million digital innovation programme to stimulate social outcomes in challenging social areas (Nesta)
- Management and evaluation of NT Live and Take Twelve, key digital innovation programmes to stimulate growth of new models in the creative economy (Nesta)
BWB: Research programmes manager
- Baker Tilly: social impact services manager
- Nesta: innovation programmes manager
- ZinC: freelance innovation researcher
- Arts Council: freelance management of sector growth programmes
- The Work Foundation: freelance project management of technology and communication programmes
- Mongrel Worlds: running membership publications targeted at the self-employed sector
- Royal Sun Alliance: marketing programmes and communication