Chetal advises individuals on securing leave to enter and remain in the UK under the Tier 1 Exceptional Talent/Promise, Entrepreneur and Investor Point Based System sub-categories.
She regularly advises organisations on matters relating to applying for, maintaining or renewing sponsor status, in particular under Tiers 2 and 5. Her advice to organisations includes providing pragmatic guidance on the requisite HR processes, assisting with immigration audits, meeting compliance obligations and preparing clients for and attending pre/post UK Visas & Immigration visits.
She is part of BWB’s cross departmental Education team, London & Partners team and India Group.
Her clients operate in a number of sectors including charities, creative, education, finance, healthcare and media. The nature of Chetal’s work has also meant that she has plenty of experience advising a broad range of clients from high net worth individuals and start-up companies to multinational companies.
Chetal regularly delivers training sessions on business immigration related topics to fellow practitioners and organisations. She also contributes commentary and know-how to journalists.
She is fluent in spoken Gujarati.
Examples of recent work
- Providing strategic advice to high net worth individuals and international businesses on the immigration considerations for moving to the UK.
- Advised FM Conway Limited on the immigration aspects of its acquisition of United Asphalt.
- Advising organisations on the implications of Brexit and the impact of their workforce.
- Advised a renowned Opera company on the entry of an acclaimed opera singer who was to perform at a live event.
- Managed and submitted visa applications for a group of highly skilled and specifically qualified engineers who were due in the UK to work on a project requiring their expertise.
- Successfully secured accelerated settlement for an Entrepreneur by evidencing that he had created at least 10 full time jobs for workers in the UK.
- Advised individuals on the Exceptional Talent route based on their background in the combined arts and film industries.
- Provided bespoke training on the sponsor licence regime to the internal HR co-ordinators of a national property development company.
- Regularly conducts extensive immigration audits to ensure that any examples of non-compliance are identified and dealt with before the submission of a sponsor licence renewal application.
- Attended a pre sponsor licence compliance visit meeting for an international organisation supporting education projects around the world.
- Advised a healthcare regulator on Tier 2 sponsorship issues pending a restructure.
- Successfully represented a media consultancy company in respect of an intention by UK Visas & Immigration to downgrade its sponsor licence which resulted in the company’s sponsor rating being maintained.
- Advised a leading London educational establishment and faith based organisation following the suspension of their respective sponsor licences.
Tiers 2 and 5
- Advised an international media company in connection with the sponsorship of an individual under Tier 2 who had not properly disclosed a foreign criminal conviction on a previous UK visa application.
- Successfully applied for Indefinite Leave to Remain for senior executives and their dependant family members, including those who had an adverse immigration history.
- Advised a household name on individuals entering the UK under Tier 5 to participate in a UK reality TV series who had previous criminal convictions.
- Advised a social care services charity on the issuance of a civil penalty notice and managing corporate risk.
- Advised a fine jewellery designer in relation to the prevention of illegal working.
- Successfully applied for a Tier 2 Sponsor Licence for a Multi-Academy Trust enabling the Sponsor to employ new teachers for the new academic term.
- Advised a number of further education colleges on the immigration law aspects of formal structural changes following area reviews by the Department for Education.
Qualifications and career
- Swansea University, LLB (Hons) Law and Business Studies, 2002-2005.
- The College of Law, Legal Practice Course, 2006.
- Trained at Birketts LLP, 2007.
- Admitted as a Solicitor, 2009.
- Solicitor, Birketts LLP, 2009.
- Solicitor, Gherson, 2011.
- Solicitor, Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2013.
- Associate, Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2015.
- Senior Associate, Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2016.
- Member of the Immigration Law Practitioners Association.
- International Associate member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association.