Chetal is recognised as a Next Generation Lawyer in the Legal 500 2018 directory. She has a particular interest and expertise in sponsor related matters and the prevention of illegal working. She regularly advises organisations on matters relating to applying for, maintaining or renewing sponsor status, in particular under Tiers 2 and 5. Her advice to organisations includes providing pragmatic guidance on the requisite HR processes, assisting with immigration audits, meeting compliance obligations and preparing clients for and attending pre/post UK Visas & Immigration visits. She also assists individuals in the preparation of their Tier 2 and 5 applications. Chetal also advises individuals on securing leave to enter and remain in the UK under the Tier 1 Exceptional Talent/Promise, Entrepreneur and Investor Point Based System sub-categories.
She regularly delivers training sessions on business immigration related topics to fellow practitioners and organisations. She also contributes commentary and know-how to journalists.
Chetal is part of BWB’s cross departmental Education team and London & Partners team. Her clients operate in a number of sectors including charities, creative, education, finance, healthcare and media. The nature of Chetal’s work has also meant that she has plenty of experience advising a broad range of clients from high net worth individuals and start-up companies to multinational companies.
She is fluent in spoken Gujarati.
Examples of recent work
- Providing strategic advice to high net worth individuals and international businesses on the immigration considerations for moving to the UK.
- Advised FM Conway Limited on the immigration aspects of its acquisition of United Asphalt.
- Advised a UK based data science institution on the routes of entry for highly skilled academics following a grant of funding from the government.
- Advising organisations on the implications of Brexit and the impact on their workforce.
- Advised a renowned Opera company on the entry of an acclaimed opera singer who was to perform at a live event.
- Managed and submitted visa applications for a group of highly skilled and specifically qualified engineers who were due in the UK to work on a project requiring their expertise.
- Successfully secured accelerated settlement for an Entrepreneur by evidencing that he had created at least 10 full time jobs for workers in the UK.
- Advised individuals on the Exceptional Talent/Promise routes based on their background in the combined arts and film industries.
- Provided bespoke training on the sponsor licence regime to the internal HR co-ordinators of a national property development company.
- Regularly conducts extensive immigration audits to ensure that any examples of non-compliance are identified and dealt with before the submission of a sponsor licence renewal application.
- Successfully represented an international organisation supporting education projects around the world at a pre sponsor licence compliance visit meeting.
- Advised a healthcare regulator on Tier 2 sponsorship issues pending a restructure.
- Successfully represented a media consultancy company in respect of an intention by UK Visas & Immigration to downgrade its sponsor licence which resulted in the company’s sponsor rating being maintained.
- Advised a leading London educational establishment and faith based organisation following the suspension of their respective sponsor licences.
Tiers 2 and 5
- Advised an international media company in connection with the sponsorship of an individual under Tier 2 who had not properly disclosed a foreign criminal conviction on a previous UK visa application.
- Advised a boutique employment firm on the immigration considerations following a Tier 2 sponsored national’s long term sick leave.
- Successfully applied for Indefinite Leave to Remain for senior executives and their dependant family members, including those who had an adverse immigration history.
- Advised a household name on individuals entering the UK under Tier 5 to participate in a UK reality TV series who had previous criminal convictions.
- Advised a social care services charity on the issuance of a civil penalty notice and managing corporate risk.
- Advised a fine jewellery designer in relation to the prevention of illegal working.
- Successfully applied for a Tier 2 Sponsor Licence for a Multi-Academy Trust enabling the Sponsor to employ new teachers for the new academic term.
- Advised a number of further education colleges on the immigration law aspects of formal structural changes following area reviews by the Department for Education.
Qualifications and career
- Swansea University, LLB (Hons) Law and Business Studies, 2002-2005.
- The College of Law, Legal Practice Course, 2006.
- Trained at Birketts LLP, 2007.
- Admitted as a Solicitor, 2009.
- Solicitor, Birketts LLP, 2009.
- Solicitor, Gherson, 2011.
- Solicitor, Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2013.
- Associate, Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2015.
- Senior Associate, Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2016.
- Partner, Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2018.
- Member of the Immigration Law Practitioners Association.
- International Associate member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association.
- Immigration Consultation Board for Practical Law.