Erica has been with BWB since 2006. Her clients include cultural and creative organisations, charities, social enterprises and commercial businesses. She advises in a range of areas including contracts, legal structures, establishment and registration, Charity Commission regulation, governance, commercial ventures, partnerships and collaborations, production and creative work/assets, and intellectual property (with a particular focus on copyright).
Erica heads our Culture + Creative sector group.
Examples of work
- Advice to a range of cultural and creative organisations, including cultural institutions, theatres, performance companies, galleries, museums, studios, libraries, dance companies, literary and academic prizes, music organisations, music education hubs, and educational charities/social enterprises.
- Advising international charities on their global relationships and legal structures, including licensing and collaboration.
- Intellectual property advice to charities and social enterprises, including the production of copyright and IP guides, creating model documents and the sharing and protection of IP assets.
- Working with an award-winning gallery on the re-organisation of its group structure.
- Working with an internationally acclaimed dance company on its group re-organisation, regulation and IP assets.
- Providing advice to many music education hubs/music services over the past six years on a range of issues, including transfer out of the local authority and establishment as independent entities.
- Working with Explore library service in York on the externalisation of its libraries and services from York City Council.
Qualifications and career
- Bristol University, English Literature, 2002
- Spent two years living in Osaka (Japan) working as an English and Foreign Affairs teacher
- College of Law, Graduate Diploma in Law, 2005
- College of Law, Legal Practice Course, 2006
- Trained at Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2006 - 2008
- Admitted as a solicitor in 2008
- Became an associate in 2011
- Became a partner in 2017
Pro bono, memberships and appointments
- Trustee of Stone Nest
- Trustee of Unitas
- Former trustee of DONATE the National Funding Scheme for the Arts, Situations Trust, the Otesha Project UK and Urban Culture Project CIC