Having begun his career as a commercial litigator, Geoff has specialised in Professional Regulation for the past 20 years over which time he has acted for many of the major regulators in the healthcare, veterinary and legal sectors with a special interest in veterinary and pharmacy law and practice.
On a daily basis his work involves investigating allegations of professional misconduct, preparing cases for Disciplinary Committee hearings and having conduct of appeals brought by registrants. He also regularly advises regulator clients on policy and more high level issues, assists with the drafting of protocols, defending Judicial Review applications and delivering training.
Examples of Recent Work
- Acted for the Pharmaceutical Services Negotiating Committee in its recent challenge to the Government’s funding cuts for community pharmacy (decision Court of Appeal August 2018).
- Delivered training programme to a regulator’s Disciplinary and Investigating Committees.
- Continues to investigate many cases that are heard (or due to be heard) by the Disciplinary Committee of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons.
- Has conduct on behalf of a regulator of an Appeal currently before the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council.
- Recently assisted a pharmacy in opposing an application for relocation by a neighbouring practice.
- Has regularly assisted a regulator in the Accountancy sector with its recruitment of members of its Conduct Committees.
- Panel Advocate for the SRA until 2017.
Qualifications and Career
- Law degree Jesus College, Cambridge 1975
- Qualified as Solicitor 1978
- Partner Walker Martineau 1983-2000
- Partner Penningtons (now Penningtons Manches) 2000-2018
- Joined Bates Wells as Consultant 2019
Pro Bono, Memberships and Appointments
- Trustee and Vice Chair Windsor Christian Action
- School Governor and Chair of Finance St John’s Beaumont, Englefield Green
- Member Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers