Louise advises a range of clients, including charities, not-for-profit organisations, social enterprises and responsible businesses on a broad range of legal and commercial issues, ranging from corporate structure, establishment, governance, regulatory matters and financing.
Louise’s area of focus is on impact investing, social investment and social finance and she has advised on a number of complex social finance matters, requiring bespoke advice to articulate both a financial and social impact. Louise is also particularly interested in responsible businesses and has been involved in a number of key policy developments, including advising the Government Inclusive Economy Unit on the Mission Led Business Review.
Louise joined the Charity and Social Enterprise Team having trained and worked for seven years in the general finance team of a magic circle law firm where she advised on high value, cross border emerging market financial transactions, investment grade and leveraged finance transactions and restructurings.
Examples of Recent Work
- Advising the Government Inclusive Economy Unit on mission-led businesses
- Developing the legal and governance requirements for B Corps
- Advising on the social investment power
- Advising on loan documentation to arts organisations a part of the Nesta Arts Impact Fund
- Advising Global Investment Fund on impact investments
- Advising multiple lenders on the largest social finance transaction to a community transport social enterprise
- Advice in relation to the establishment of a charities, corporate foundations and CICs
- Advice in relation to structuring social finance transactions
- Advice in relation to social investment and Social Investment Tax Relief
- Advising on charity mergers and general restructuring
- Advising on governance issues, conflict of interest and general reviews of charitable status
- Advising on a range of commercial agreements
Qualifications and Career
- University of Bristol, Law LLB (with study abroad at National University of Singapore), 2005
- Project officer, Ethnic Community Development Organisation, Bangladesh, Voluntary Service Overseas, 2005 – 2006
- College of Law, Legal Practice Course, 2007
- Trainee Solicitor at Clifford Chance LLP, 2007
- Admitted as a solicitor at Clifford Chance LLP, 2009
- Secondment to the legal team of EMEA Leveraged Finance of Citibank, 2011
- Secondment to the legal team of Barclays Corporate Transaction Management, 2013
- Joined Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2014
- Secondment to the Social Investment Team at the Cabinet Office (now known as the Government Inclusive Economy Unit) to help develop recommendations to Government and industry on Mission led businesses as part of the Mission led Business Review.
Pro Bono, Memberships and Appointments
- Company secretary of B Lab (UK)
- Secretary of the Policy Council of B Lab (UK)
- Member of the Charity Law Association
- Pro bono advice to a range of charities and social enterprises, campaigning for freedom of expression, education and childcare