Lucas is a specialist data privacy lawyer. He advises on all aspects of data privacy law at national, EU and global levels.
He is frequently instructed to draft compliance and accountability documentation; advise on the data privacy aspects of fundraising and corporate marketing; advise on the exercise and management of data subjects’ rights; deal with data security breaches; carry out data protection audits; advise on international transfers of data for multinational organisations and to consider the data privacy aspects of innovative technology.
Lucas assists a wide range of clients, including charities, public bodies, sports clubs and institutions, media outlets, activist organisations, schools and universities, property owners, IT specialists, legacy professionals and private individuals.
He regularly provides specialist training and advice on data privacy law at all levels of understanding.
Examples of Recent Work
- Assisting a high-profile national transport organisation with its data protection audit
- Advising a sporting fund on the data privacy impact of developing new software designed to facilitate and review community outreach work
- Advising a social and political activist platform on compliant use of social media tools
- Advising an international charity on issues of transparency and data security in relation to its work for displaced individuals
- Advising an international charity on the data privacy impacts of its legacy management program
- Providing advice on compliance with the GDPR at customer and employee level to a producer of ethically sourced and sustainable foodstuffs
- Advising an animal shelter on use of criminal offence data when rehoming pets
- Advising a former Premier League manager on a national media outlet’s misue of his personal data
Qualifications and Career
- University College London, BA (Hons) History (including semester abroad at University of Pennsylvania)
- College of Law, LLB
- Former signed musician and broadcast journalist for BskyB and BBC
- Trained at Hill Dickinson
- Worked in London and Singapore as an international trade lawyer before specialising in information law
- Joined Bates Wells Braithwaite as a solicitor, 2017
- Promoted to Associate, 2018
Pro Bono, Memberships and Appointments
- Mission RASI Legacy Committee
- Pro bono adviser to and member of the Mission to Seafarers