Lucas is an information lawyer specialising in data protection. He advises on all aspects of data protection law at national, EU and global levels.
His work to date has covered, non-exhaustively, corporate marketing; data protection audits and impact assessments; the exercise and management of data subjects’ rights; drafting terms for overseas data transfers and outsourcing of data processing functions; and reaction plans to personal data breaches.
Lucas assists clients from a wide range of sectors, including charity, media, retail, insurance and sport. He regularly provides specialist training and advice on the implementation of the GDPR at all levels of understanding.
Examples of Recent Work
- Advising a music tech start-up on email marketing policy ahead of GDPR coming into force
- Providing various policies and guidelines on preparation and compliance with the GDPR
- Assisting an insurer client to avoid a large fine from the ICO for alleged breach of the Data Protection Act 1998
- Advising a non-UK bank on exporting EU customer data to non-EEA branches and drafting required documentation
- Drafting and negotiating provisions for inclusion in a contract for the provision of website development and hosting services by a cloud services provider on behalf of a fashion retailer
- Providing advice on compliance with the GDPR at customer and employee level to a producer of ethically sourced and sustainable foodstuffs
- Advising an energy major on the extent to which information could be sent by a UK subsidiary to its US parent to enable that parent to pursue a claim in the USA for breach of warranty under an acquisition agreement against the previous owner of the UK subsidiary
- Advising a former Premier League manager on how to use data protection law to protect right to privacy
Qualifications and Career
- University College London, BA (Hons) History (including semester abroad at University of Pennsylvania)
- College of Law, LLB
- Former signed musician and broadcast journalist for BskyB and BBC
- Trained at Hill Dickinson
- Worked in London and Singapore as an international trade lawyer before specialising in information law
- Joined Bates Wells Braithwaite as a solicitor, 2017
Pro Bono, Memberships and Appointments
- Mission RASI Legacy Committee
- Pro bono adviser to and member of the Mission to Seafarers