Lucy is an Associate in the Charity & Social Enterprise team where she advises charities, social enterprises and individuals across a broad range of sectors including children and young people, health, education, arts, human rights and faith.
Lucy’s practice includes charity establishment, philanthropy advice, governance and constitutional reviews, regulatory compliance, contractual and grant funding arrangements and restructures including mergers and incorporations.
Lucy regularly advises on technical charity law issues and structures, including trusts, endowment funds and schemes. She assisted Laura Soley with BWB’s submission to the Law Commission’s consultation on “Technical Issues in Charity Law” resulting in the draft Charities Bill with proposed reforms to remove unnecessary legal obstacles for charities.
Examples of recent work
- Acting for the former trustees/directors of a children’s charity in relation to inquiries conducted by the Official Receiver and the Charity Commission, and subsequent director disqualification proceedings brought by the Official Receiver
- Advising a high-profile philanthropist on the establishment of a start-up UK-US charitable foundation and on its governance, regulatory compliance and communications with the media
- Consolidating four armed forces charities with overlapping charitable objects
- Advising a Royal Charter charity on the terms of 40 restricted funds to consolidate them within 7 larger funds with up-to-date purposes
- Advising a grant-making charitable trust on the scope of its charitable objects and historic grants made outside of them, trustee decision-making processes and restructuring as a CIO
- Merger of five permanent endowment funds with a combined value of £16 million
- Parliamentary scheme for PDSA to amend its Act of Parliament
Qualifications and career
- University of Cambridge, MA Hons Classics, 2008
- BPP Law School, 2009-2010
- Paralegal, Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2010-2012
- Trainee Solicitor, Bates Wells Braithwaite (including secondment at Big Society Capital), 2012-2014
- Qualified as a Solicitor, September 2014
- Associate, July 2017
Pro bono, memberships and appointments
- Chair of the BWB Employee Forum
- Vice-Chairperson and Trustee, Prisoners’ Advice Service
- Member of Charity Law Association and on Charity Law Association working group on social investment by charities