Mark is an Associate in the Charity & Social Enterprise team, where he advises charities, not-for-profit organisations and businesses with a social purpose on a range of legal and commercial matters including charity and company governance, regulation of campaigning and political activity, constitutional reform (such as amendments to articles of association or trust deeds), the conduct of meetings, trust law issues, powers in the Charities Act 2011 and constitutional and regulatory compliance, and issues relating to contractual and grant funding arrangements.
As a member of the Information Law and Fundraising Regulatory teams at BWB, Mark advises a large number of significant and “household name” charities on data protection and information law issues, in particular advising on fundraising and “direct marketing” compliance issues, transparency obligations, conditions for processing personal data and otherwise preparing charities for GDPR.
Having trained at a large city law firm, Mark has experience in a range of corporate and finance departments and has worked on a significant number of high value and cross-border transactions.
Examples of Recent Work
- Amendments to the constitutional documents of several large non-profit organisations;
- Advice on the scope of charitable heads, and grant-making arrangements;
- Advice on data protection, fundraising, and direct marketing activity, including data protection audits and training;
- Acting on mergers between charities and not-for-profit organisations; and
- Advising on conflicts of interest, procedure and other governance matters.
Qualifications and Career
- University of York, LLB Bachelor of Laws 2011, First class
- Voluntary work, Swaziland Action Group Against Abuse, 2012
- BPP Law School, Legal Practice Course, 2013, Distinction
- Trainee Solicitor, Hogan Lovells International LLP, 2013-2015
- Admitted as a solicitor at BWB, March 2015
Pro Bono, Memberships and Appointments
- Member of the Charity Law Association
- Adviser, South West London Law Centre (SWLCC)
- Talks and articles on governance and data protection compliance issues