Michael provides legal support to the Charity and Social Enterprise department, specifically working on data protection matters within the Information Law group and programming documents for Get Legal.
Examples of Recent Work
- Seconded to a national charity to process data subject access requests.
- Seconded to an international social enterprise to process a data subject access request.
- Seconded to a national public authority to review data processing agreements for GDPR compliance.
- Assisting with responses to subject access request and other individual rights.
- Assisting with advice on data transfers.
- Assisting with advice on achieving compliance with data protection aspects of the Fundraising Regulator’s Code of Practice.
- Assisting the Information Law group with collating and managing knowledge, including regularly monitoring publications/guidance from relevant bodies including the ICO and EDPB and European Commission.
- Advising on application of exemptions contained with GDPR and the DPA 2018.
- Assisted with data protection audits for organisations of various sizes in the run up to GDPR.
- Assisting with charity incorporations.
- Programming document uploads to Get Legal.
- Assisted with providing campaigning advice on the General Election 2017.
Qualifications and Career
- Paralegal, Charity and Social Enterprise department, Bates Wells Braithwaite, March 2017-present.
- Legal Administrator, Real Estate department, Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2015 - 2017.
- PRINCE2 Project Management (Foundation and Practitioner) 2018.
- University of Law, Legal Practice Course LLM, 2016 - 2018.
- University of Leicester, Law LLB, 2010 - 2013 (First).
Pro Bono, Memberships and Appointments
- Volunteer at South West London Law Centre, 2017 - present.
- Modernising Justice Secretary, 2017 - 2018.
- Treasurer of Leicester University Law Society, 2012 - 2013.
- Mentor at Leicester University Law Society, 2012 - 2013.
- Pro Bono Advisor with Leicester University Law Society, 2011 - 2013.