Molly is a solicitor in the Charity & Social Enterprise team where she advises charities, not for profit organisations and business with a social purpose on a range of issues. Molly advises on charity formation and registration, contracts, governance and legal structures, constitutional changes and compliance, regulatory compliance as well as general charity law.
Molly specialises in advising on fundraising law including commercial participation, professional fundraising, corporate sponsorship and society lottery regulation.
With a background in drama and applied theatre Molly has a particular interest in the creative and cultural industries and is a member of the Culture + Creative group at BWB. Molly is also interested in charities and social enterprises working in the health and social care field and volunteers with a mental health phone line.
Examples of Recent Work
- Advising on the formation and registration of new charities and social enterprises, including CICs and CIOs
- Advising on constitutional and operational issues for charities and social enterprises, including advising on conflicts of interest, procedure and other governance matters
- Advising on grant funding agreements and conditions
- Advising on society lottery regulation, including applying for licences with the Gambling Commission and responding to regulatory investigations
- Acting on mergers between charities and not-for-profit organisations
- Acting on transfers of services, out of larger charities and local authorities
- Drafting a suite of template fundraising agreements including commercial participator, sponsorship and professional fundraiser arrangements
- Acting on incorporations of existing charities, including establishing a corporate entity, undertaking due diligence, drafting the relevant agreements and dealing with the unincorporated charity post-transfer
- Advising on constitutional reviews and alterations, including liaising with the Charity Commission for Charity Commission consent where necessary.
- Advising charities on their engagement with various regulators including the Charity Commission, the Fundraising Regulator and the Gambling Commission
Qualifications and Career
- University of Manchester, BA (Hons) English Literature and Drama, 2011
- University of Law, Graduate Diploma in Law, 2012
- University of Law, Legal Practice Course, 2013
- Paralegal, Charles Russell, 2013 – 2014
- Trainee Solicitor, Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2014 – 2016
- Admitted as a solicitor in September 2016
Pro Bono, Memberships and Appointments
- Trustee of Angel Shed Theatre Company
- Volunteer at SaneLine mental health phone line
- Adviser at South West London Law Centre