Paul is an employment and discrimination specialist, recommended by the Legal 500, which recognises his “excellent judgement”.
Paul helps charities, social enterprises and commercial organisations navigate challenging and strategically important workplace issues, involving change programmes, discrimination, grievances, performance management, disciplinaries, dismissals, whistleblowing, restrictive covenant drafting and enforcement, TUPE and data protection.
Paul also works with senior executives and professionals at times of upheaval in their places of work and when they move around; providing strategic commercial advice and counsel.
Given the nature of much of Paul’s practice the matters advised on are generally confidential.
Examples of recent work
- Advising on the acquisition of one accountancy practice by another.
- Advising on the merger of one sports body with another.
- Advising on the transfer of an undertaking from one regulatory body to another.
- Advising on the transfer of an undertaking of a medical facility from an NHS Trust to a charity.
- Advising various clubs on sensitive employment law disputes, day to day contract issues and the status of various coaching staff.
- Advising on numerous and varied GDPR issues and in particular Subject Access Requests.
- Advising on numerous and varied sales, acquisitions and mergers between charities, social enterprises and commercial organisations.
Qualifications and career
- Partner, Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2010 - present
- Appointed as Supervising Solicitor, 2018
- Joined Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2006
- Metcalfes' Employment department, 2002-2006
- Eversheds' Employment department, 1999-2002
- Admitted as a solicitor, 1999
- University Wales, College of Cardiff, LLB (Hons) Law, 1996
Pro bono, memberships and appointments
- Trustee of Active Luton, member of the Audit and Risk Committee
- Bates Wells Braithwaite SRA Training Principal and Graduate Recruitment Partner
- ELA member
- ILIS member
- Former Governor and Vice Chair of Barnfield FE College
- Former chair and trustee of the Queen Square Association