Jonathan advises on all aspects of employment law. He has particular experience advising clients on recruitment and termination processes, grievances, performance management and disciplinaries, as well as redundancies, restructures, and TUPE issues arising from mergers and acquisitions.
Jonathan’s litigation experience includes conducting cases in the Employment Tribunals, the Employment Appeal Tribunal and the Court of Appeal, including successfully defending a high profile religious discrimination claim.
Jonathan is instructed by private, public and third sector clients and has particular specialism advising the healthcare sector.
Jonathan regularly writes articles on employment law and provides training to clients and at public events.
Examples of Recent Work
- Acting on the case of Wasteney v East London NHS Foundation Trust UKEAT/0157/15/LA in which the Employment Appeal Tribunal considered the application of rights under Article 9 of the ECHR in claims for religion and belief discrimination.
- Successfully representing the Respondent in the complex disability discrimination case of Robinson v Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust & Ors UKEAT/0311/14/MC
- Advising a national health professionals’ membership organisation on reasonable adjustments and capability procedures in relation to a disabled employee.
- Successfully defending a constructive unfair dismissal claim following the alleged failure by the Claimant’s employer to address a grievance.
- Advising on the employment law aspects of the landmark merger of two NHS foundation trusts involving thousands of affected employees.
- Advising a national charity on its merger with another charity, including the application of TUPE, information and consultation obligations and pre-transfer dismissals.
- Defending a claim for failure to inform and consult and automatic unfair dismissal under the TUPE regulations.
- Advising individuals involved in a complex team move in the financial services sector.
Qualifications and Career
- BA Hons, GDL, LLB (Law) & LPC
- Qualified as a solicitor in 2010
- Practiced at Eversheds LLP and Hempsons Solicitors
- Joined Bates Wells Braithwaite in 2017
Pro Bono, Memberships and Appointments
- Member of Employment Law Association (ELA)