Deputy Managing Partner and Head of Charity
Philip has been with BWB for the whole of his career, qualifying in 1995 and becoming a partner in 2000. He then became co-head of the Charity and Social Enterprise team in 2011. Philip advises charities and social enterprises on numerous aspects of charity, corporate and commercial law and has extensive experience in: constitutional and structural work including mergers, incorporations and other reorganisations, joint ventures and other forms of collaborative working, fundraising and trading, charity formations, charity financing, business establishment, acquisition and sale, public sector contracting and legal governance.
Examples of recent work
- Reorganisation of Charity Bank, converting it from a charity into a private limited company and re-organising its regulatory share capital
- Advising NCVO on its merger with Volunteering England
- Advising Royal Town Planning Institute on amendments to its Royal Charter
- Establishment of Water Aid International
- Advising Barnardo's on its acquisition of a chain of charity shops
- Establishment of a destination management company for a London Borough
Qualifications and career
- University College, London, BA English, 1986
- University of West of England – Common Professional Examination and Law Society Finals
- Admitted as a solicitor, 1995
- Partner with Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2000
- Co-head of Charity & Social Enterprise team, 2011, becoming sole head in 2017
- Editor of and contributor to 'Jordans Charities Administration Service' and co-author of 'The Fundraiser’s Guide to the Law'
- President of The Parlex Group of European Lawyers 2011/12
- Founder and partner responsible for Bates Wells Braithwaite's governance consultancy, OnBoard.
Pro bono, memberships and appointments
- Charity Commission approved practitioner for interim manager services
- Trustee of The Shakespeare Globe Trust and director of Shakespeare Globe Trading Limited
- Director of the Death Penalty Project and Trustee of the Death Penalty Project Charitable Trust
- Trustee of the Human Dignity Trust
- Advice to various human rights organisations on constitutional and charity law matters