After qualifying into Druces LLP’s Employment team in 2014, Rachel gained experience advising on contentious and non-contentious matters for both employer and employee clients across a wide range of sectors.
Rachel has considerable experience in the financial sector and on negotiating exits for both the employer and the employee.
Rachel joined the Employment team at Bates Wells Braithwaite in July 2016.
Rachel now acts for household name commercial entities, charities, partnerships and senior executives. Rachel’s practice includes negotiation of exits, advising on restrictive covenants and advising employers on dismissals including discrimination issues. Rachel also undertakes a broad range of contentious work on cases in the Employment Tribunal, Employment Appeal Tribunal and Court of Appeal including in relation to worker status, discrimination and whistleblowing.
Examples of Recent Work
- Successfully representing the Uber drivers in the Employment Appeal Tribunal in the case of Uber & Others v (1) Yaseen Aslam (2) James Farrar (3) Robert Dawson & Others (a landmark case concerning the employment status of uber drivers) reported internationally by The BBC, The Guardian, Wired.
- Advised FM Conway Limited on its acquisition of United Asphalt with a turnover of over £24 million at the time of acquisition.
- Successfully acted for a Claimant in a high value breach of contract claim against Nyetimber reported In the Times and the Daily Mail.
- Defending a high value claim for breach of employment contract in respect of shareholdings.
- Advising companies and individuals on grievances and disciplinary procedures, age and sex discrimination, harassment, victimisation and unfair dismissal claims.
- Assisting companies with re-organisations, redundancies and handling dismissals.
- Negotiating agreed exits and settlement agreements on behalf of both individuals and employers.
- Advising companies on TUPE issues.
- Advising on partnership issues.
Qualifications and Career
- University of Manchester, Law (LLB), 2011
- The College of Law, Legal Practice Course, 2012
- Trainee solicitor, Druces LLP, 2012
- Solicitor, Druces LLP, 2014 – June 2016
- Joined Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2016
- Promoted to Associate, Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2018
Pro Bono, Memberships and Appointments
- Member of the Employment Lawyers Association