Simon is a research analyst in BWB’s Advisory and Impact department. He will be undertaking a Post Graduate Diploma in Social Research at Birkbeck University in 2018, to develop his research skills. Simon’s impact evaluation work includes public, private and not-for-profit organisations to help them understand and communicate the impact, that they achieve through their work.
Simon is passionate about people and society and understanding social issues. He enjoys gathering new data through primary research and the challenges with designing research and how to approach difficult situations, co-leading workshops and conducting interviews.
Previous experience includes three years working in, legal aid criminal defence work, where Simon has become very knowledgeable about how the criminal justice system works. In this role, Simon conducted interviews and maintained his sector knowledge. Simon has brought his experience and knowledge to the team and is the team’s criminal justice sector lead.
Examples of recent work
- Supported with project management, researching and understanding the needs of a local community, to re-imagine how our client, the Local Authority, could deliver their portfolio of culture and leisure services and a wide range of assets to their local community more affordably. With the benefit of community consultations and engagement with key local bodies such as schools and colleges, we were able to provide key recommendations for Cabinet approval.
- Social impact report and measurement framework for a social enterprise, Cordant Group, to realise their social impact on low paid, low skilled workers enabling them to develop a good jobs strategy vision evidenced through a social impact measurement framework.
- Undertook desk-based research on a BIG Lottery-funded project the Consortium of Adoption Support Agencies, helping us to compare how early intervention will save costs to local services through our gains model.
- Provided research support on a social impact bond project, working with West London Zone, a partnership of local organisations working together helping children to achieve a range of outcomes and achieve their full potential. Simon researched health and wellbeing measurement scales for young people which we were able to use when measuring effectiveness of early intervention.
Qualifications, Trusteeships/volunteering, interests outside of work
- Criminology BA (Hons) (2.1)
- BPP Law School, GDL, LPC
- Criminal Defence Caseworker at David Phillips and Partners Solicitors
- Paralegal / Legal Administrator, Bates Wells Braithwaite
- Research Analyst, Bates Wells Braithwaite
Away from the day job, Simon enjoys film and playing sports.