Sung-Hyui specialises in charity, social enterprise, social finance and impact investing.
She advises on the full range of activities carried out by charities, social enterprises and socially-focused lenders, including formation and registration, governance, debt and equity capital-raising and general charity and commercial law issues.
Sung-Hyui has a particular interest in structuring and executing impact-focused finance transactions in a wide range of forms, including impact investing, social investment and general secured and unsecured lending, for clients ranging from international charities, NGOs and social enterprises, to impact investors, social finance intermediaries, global corporates, financial institutions and socially-focused lenders.
Sung-Hyui joined Bates Wells Braithwaite having trained and worked for eight years in the general banking team of a magic circle law firm, where she advised on an extensive range of high value, multi-jurisdictional leveraged finance (lender and sponsor-side), investment grade, emerging markets, insurance and real estate financing transactions.
Examples of Recent Work
- Advising on the structure and implementation of debt and equity capital raising by charities, social enterprises and socially-focused lenders
- Advising borrowers and lenders on leveraged finance structures including first and second lien senior debt, mezzanine debt and high yield bonds
- Advising on the creation of new financial products for charities and social enterprises
- Advising on social investments and Social Investment Tax Relief
- Advising on the formation and registration of new charities and social enterprises
- Advising clients on the implications of certifying as a B Corp in the UK
- Advising on constitutional and governance issues
Qualifications and Career
- London School of Economics and Political Science, LLB Law (First Class), 2005
- BPP Law School, Legal Practice Course, 2006
- Trainee Solicitor at Clifford Chance LLP, 2006
- Secondment to Clifford Chance Amsterdam, 2007
- Admitted as a solicitor at Clifford Chance LLP, 2008
- Secondment to the legal team of EMEA Loan Origination, Citigroup, 2010
- Secondment to the legal team of GSO Capital Partners LP, 2015
- Joined Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2016
Pro Bono, Memberships and Appointments
- Trustee of the Social Mission Institute
- Member of the Charity Law Association
- Member of the British Korean Law Association and the International Association of Korean Lawyers
- Pro bono advice to a range of charities and social enterprises working within education and community development
Services & Sectors
- Social Enterprise
- Social Finance
- Banking and Finance