Tom has experience of advising on a broad range of commercial property matters and has worked with a range of clients, including public bodies, charities and commercial organisations.
Examples of Recent Work
Charity, Social Enterprise and Public
- Advised a think tank in relation to the sale of one of its properties in east London for £2.5m.
- Advised a regulatory authority on the surrender of a long lease and a new sub-underlease of office premises in the City at an annual rent of over £500,000.
- Advised The Fitzrovia Chapel Foundation in relation to its long lease of the Grade II* listed Fitzrovia Chapel which underwent a £2m refurbishment as part of the Fitzroy development in Fitzrovia, which was created out of the former Middlesex Hospital site.
- Assisted a social policy think tank take an assignment of a lease of office premises in central London.
- Advised a national charity in respect of the sale of one of its properties, including negotiating overage terms for the client.
Corporate and Commercial
- Advised an international company in relation to the surrender of its existing lease and the grant of its new lease of office premises in central London.
- Assisted Element Materials Technology Holding UK with the real estate due diligence in respect of the £44.5 million acquisition of TRaC Global Limited, a specialist testing business.
- Assisted Schleuniger Holding AG with the real estate aspects of its acquisition of a 20 per cent stake in LW Solutions Ltd, a manufacturer of laser wire stripping machines for the stripping of insulation from high-tech cables and wires
- Advised Blenheim Natural Resources Plc in relation to the real estate aspects of its acquisition of a 27.17 per cent investment stake in IGS (International Geoscience Services) Limited.
- Assisted with the property aspects of the creation of several different multi-academy trusts, including dealing with the land transfers on the conversion of community schools and PRUs.
- Advised two separate multi-academy trusts with the transfer of a number of academies to other multi-academy trusts (being some of the first transfers of their kind).
- Advised a further education provider in respect of a new telecoms lease at one of its sites.
- Assisted an academy trust with the grant of an underlease of part of its school site to another education provider.
Banking and Security
- Assisted a bank with property due diligence in relation to the security being taken over a number of properties in respect of a £5.3m facility.
- Advised a private bank in relation to taking security over a residential property in respect of a £7.65m facility.
- Advised a community group in relation to a hydro scheme in Wales.
- Assisted a social enterprise with a number of air space solar panel leases across a number of maintained schools in Oxfordshire.
Qualifications and Career
- The University of Sheffield, Law LLB, 2005;
- The College of Law, York, Legal Practice Course, 2006;
- Trainee solicitor at CMS Cameron McKenna LLP, London, 2008
- Qualified as a solicitor, 2010;
- Solicitor at CMS Cameron McKenna LLP, London, 2010;
- Solicitor at Basildon Borough Council, 2013;
- Joined Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2014.
Pro Bono, Memberships and Appointments
• Member of Bates Wells Braithwaite Diversity and Inclusion Forum