Our construction law group acts for a diverse range of clients across the full spectrum of advisory work and disputes.
We advise clients who are procuring or funding major works themselves as well as those buying or leasing premises which are in the course of construction, have been completed recently or need to be fitted out.
We act for commercial organisations, developers, professional consultants and contractors, financial institutions, charities and social enterprises, public bodies, universities and schools, and individuals.
Working closely with our large real estate team, we can help with the legal issues which arise at every stage of a project:
- Drafting and negotiating building contracts, development agreements, joint venture agreement and funding structures
- Drafting and negotiating professional appointments, collateral warranties and subsidiary documentation such as parent company guarantees and performance bonds
- Advising on issues arising in the course of a construction project, and post-completion
We advise on all forms of building and construction disputes, on projects ranging from private residential works to large scale commercial developments, including:
- Claims for losses and expenses arising out of delay or disruption to a project, and claims for extensions of time
- Additional work/variations claims
- Quantum meruit claims (claims for a fair sum for the work done)
- Claims for poor or defective work
- Liquidated damages claims
- Claims for breach of contract
- Claims in negligence
We seek to resolve matters as quickly and cost-effectively as possible, where appropriate through negotiation or other forms of dispute resolution. We are experienced in acting in adjudications, arbitrations and mediations.