Totally focused on the best outcome”
Chambers UK 2018
Our public law and regulatory expertise dates from the founding of the firm over 40 years ago. Our public and regulatory lawyers are recognised as leaders in the field by the legal directories Chambers UK and Legal 500 and we pride ourselves on offering high end legal services in this sometimes complex field.
BWB's Public & Regulatory law team provides practical and strategic advice and representation for its clients. We have extensive experience in a wide variety of public and regulatory law cases, acting for a range of regulators, charities, not-for-profit and private-sector organisations and individuals. Our experience on both sides of the fence and our understanding of how the public sector works makes us uniquely placed to offer effective advice to all our clients.
We are an exceptionally experienced team dedicated to our clients’ interests and are particularly proud to be rated as one of the best firms in the UK for our client service.
They are highly efficient, very competent and very personable. They clearly value their clients and they always give very prompt attention.”
We provide our clients with strategic and practical advice as well as assistance and representation on purely legal matters. We are approachable and will tailor our advice to your specific situation and your budget.
We have a particular focus on work with:
- Regulatory bodies, including industry self and co-regulatory bodies and professional regulatory and membership bodies
- Central and Local government (including audit) and other public authorities
- Educational establishments
- NHS and care homes
- Not-for-profit organisations and charities
We also act for businesses, campaigning groups and individuals who wish to challenge the decisions of public authorities or need advice in relation to any public law or regulatory issue.
We can advise on any aspect of public & regulatory law, including:
- Judicial review
- Procedural fairness and human rights issues
- Regulatory and legislative drafting; including codes of conduct and dispute processes
- Independent adjudications
- Data Protection and Freedom of Information
- Confidentiality, privacy and defamation
- Tribunal, statutory appeals and inquiry work
- Statutory interpretation
- Health and safety
- Public rights of way
- Education regulation, including of awarding bodies
- Defended the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales in a judicial review alleging a breach of natural justice in a tribunal hearing against one of its members.
- Advised the Advertising Standards Authority on a judicial review application made by Sainsbury's in relation to its decision that a rival's price comparison advertising campaign did not contravene the Committee of Advertising Practice Code.
- Provided advice to the Audit Commission in connection with its local authority and NHS auditing work as well as all aspects of its impending closure.
- Acted for the Ramblers’ in a judicial review challenge to the Secretary of State’s refusal to designate the Isle of Wight as part of the English Coastal Path.
- Drafted the amendments to the Recall of MPs Bill and advised on its passage through Parliament.
- Advised on third party election expenses in the run up to the general election.
- Acted for the Compliance Officer for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority in relation to the first ever Tribunal appeal made by a Labour MP regarding the refusal of his expenses claims.
- Advised a charity on potential judicial review of funding cuts.
- Advised the Press Standards Board of Finance on the establishment and implementation of the new press regulatory body following the Leveson Inquiry.