Organisations are increasingly aware of the requirements of data privacy and information law. The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) has brought data protection issues front and centre for all organisations whether businesses or non-profits. Our clients need experts who understand the law’s requirements and are aware of regulator guidance and industry practice.
We have a strong and growing team of dedicated data privacy lawyers (led by prominent data protection specialist Victoria Hordern) who can provide practical guidance to organisations facing the new landscape under the GDPR. Bates Wells also has specific expertise in advising organisations on the Freedom of Information Act 2000, and other legal disciplines related to data privacy including intellectual property, technology and media law.
We advise small and large organisations, both commercial and charitable, as well as individuals, on a wide range of issues including:
- Strategies for compliance with the GDPR
- Controller/ processor agreements and all other types of data sharing arrangements
- Privacy Notices and Data Protection Policies
- Lawful bases such as consent and legitimate interest
- Compliance with marketing rules including e-marketing and guidance for organisations registered with the Fundraising Regulator
- Mechanisms for international data transfers whether one-off or ongoing data transfers within small and global organisations
- Data Protection Impact Assessments
- ICO investigations and monetary penalty notices
- Use of children’s data
- Using personal data for prospecting
- Responding to data security breaches (including rapid responses where issues are urgent)
- Responding to enquiries and investigations from data protection authorities
- Dealing with requests from individuals’ exercising their rights to their personal data
- Use of employee personal data including monitoring, whistleblowing schemes and the roll out of specific tools
- Providing targeted training to help individuals understand the GDPR and their obligations
- Advising on all matters connected with the Freedom of Information Act including ICO investigations and conduct of tribunal cases.